October 7, 2024

God’s Names describe Him

 


Today’s reading lists the names that God uses for His people. How about considering the names that God assigns to Himself? Each one reveals something to know about Him. He knows all about me, but I’ve so much to learn of Him. Even though such a study is too big to fit in this space!

Scripture gives God personal names, titles, and metaphorical descriptions of His character or abilities. Charnock wrote nearly 1000 pages to describe Him so whatever I find is a mere blip in an endless space. Charnock admits we cannot know all. Thankfully, His names do reveal some of who He is.

El and its plural form Elohim was the common term for deity in Bible languages. YHWH was the specific name given to Moses in the OT and was considered so sacred that His people eventually refused to pronounce it. This is why it contains no vowels in surviving manuscripts. Instead, they substituted the word Adonai (“my Lord”). Later translators combined these two words to produce the hybrid Yahowah—or “Jehovah” as it has become in English. Modern scholars reconstructed Yahweh which can be translated as “He who is” or “I will be who I will be” or “I am” which is the form Jesus claimed as His name.

This points to the existence of God, that He is unchanging, the Lord, and considered holy or other than pagan deity, worthy of worship, and that Jesus is God in human flesh.

When Sarah sent Hagar away and God protected her, she said: “You are a God of seeing” and “Truly here I have seen him who looks after me.” (Genesis 16:13–14)

Such a joy to know that God is not dead but alive, and He has His eyes on His people, even me, and protects us even when others abuse or reject us. This gave great comfort to Hagar and to me also.

Another example is what God said to Abram just prior to his one-hundredth birthday: “I am God Almighty; walk before me, and be blameless, that I may make my covenant between me and you, and may multiply you greatly.” (Genesis 17:1) This says that God desires for Abram a sinless life that is fruitful and blessed. This man who is called the father of faith, along with God both call me to trust God for the Lord rewards all His people with an abundant life. He is a caring, giving God.

When Moses stopped at the burning bush, God spoke and this man asked His name so he might tell others. God said:
“Say this to the people of Israel: ‘I am has sent me to you….’ ‘The Lord, the God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you.’ This is my name forever, and thus I am to be remembered throughout all generations.” (Exodus 3:13–15)
“I am” is so rich with implications. He always is and always will be. He does not die nor stop being God. Again, 1000 pages cannot begin to describe Him, only glimpses that put me on my knees. It was in this overwhelmed state that Moses sang of God…
The Rock, his work is perfect, for all his ways are justice. A God of faithfulness and without iniquity, just and upright is he. (Deuteronomy 32:4)
Metaphor: God is a Rock. His work perfect. His way just, faithful, without sin. How can I not be overwhelmed by this God who came to earth to die for me?

Another OT passage points directly to Jesus when He comes, not the first time but at the end to establish His kingdom. In this passage, He is called the Ancient of Days and after the efforts of earthly kings, this King will win.
And the kingdom and the dominion and the greatness of the kingdoms under the whole heaven shall be given to the people of the saints of the Most High; his kingdom shall be an everlasting kingdom, and all dominions shall serve and obey him. (Daniel 7:22-27)
PRAY: Jesus, I’ve been overwhelmed at Your goodness and attention to details in our lives the past few weeks. We put things in Your hands and ask Your will to be done, and are amazed each day by unexpected blessings. You are Almighty, a King and a Rock, yet so faithful to give us what we need — even before we realize we need it. Thank You are words far too small. May You be glorified and all Your names be praised!


No comments: