May 23, 2024

What holiness looks like…

 
Since ‘holy’ is about purity and about being set apart and unlike or ‘other than’ this means the people of God are not like what we were once like. Our life “hid with Christ in God” is a hidden life as to its source, at least to those who do not focus on Jesus, but that life with Jesus must not be hidden as to its outward results. People ought to see that I walk as Christ walked. Even in challenges, my life will be different. It should prove that I possess what I profess. This means turning my back on everything that is contrary to the perfect will of God and being what some translations call “peculiar people” in the eyes of the people around me.
For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation for all people, training us to renounce ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives in the present age, waiting for our blessed hope, the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ, who gave himself for us to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people for his own possession who are zealous for good works. (Titus 2:11–14)
Wherever I go, this “other than” ought to be seen in my habits, state of mind, values, interests, conversations, and activities. For instance, because I am a follower of the Lord Jesus Christ, I must  no longer look on my money as mine, but as belonging to the Lord to be used in His service. I must not use my energies in the pursuit of worldly means, but “seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness” knowing that God will take care of my needs. (Matthew 6:33)

God does not ask me to seek prominence or worldly advantages. I’m not to make myself the center of my thoughts and goals. My days are not to be spent serving me or my I-wants but in serving the Lord. He calls me to bear one another’s burdens and so fulfill the law of Christ. All my daily duties are to have His attitude, “not as people-pleasers, but as bondservants of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart, rendering service with a good will as to the Lord” (Ephesians 6:5–8) The will of God is not only different but perfect, yet it does require something from me:
I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect. (Romans 12:1–2)
First, I must yield to Him, not with eye-service as to impress others by looking good, but from the heart. This is “spiritual worship” and therefore from the spirit, the deepest part that is made alive in redemption and is my connection with the Spirit of God. My worship cannot be outward actions, or merely intellectual or emotional in nature. I can choose to worship but true worship is from the heart and all of my being, yielded totally to the Lord.

Also, I’m to say no to the world and its values, motivations, and the ways of expressing them:

Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world—the desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and pride of life—is not from the Father but is from the world. And the world is passing away along with its desires, but whoever does the will of God abides forever. (1 John 2:15–17)
All this means being different, ‘other than’ and often mocked by those who cannot fathom why anyone would live this way. It makes no sense to them. In our culture, our Christian ways are ignored, sometimes ridiculed or even opposed. In many parts of the world, this way is persecuted and many Christians die at the hands of those who see this ‘other than’ way of life as a threat to their own.

PRAY: Jesus, thank You for new life with its great challenge to be holy because You are holy. Keep my focus on You during these days of confusion and so many needs in others who ask for prayer and in those who deny that You even exist. Grant me the strength to persevere, not only in prayer but in being what You want me to be — holy and set apart for You.

No comments: