May 1, 2024

Like a child? Or childish?

We know a family from another culture and another part of this world who have become close friends, even calling us by family names. They are Christians who have been persecuted and learned to deeply trust God for everything. In their faith, they are transparent with us, like children in their attitude and joy. Sadly, some people think that because of that child-like trust and simple joy, this family has a low IQ and are unable to make good choices.
Christ said, “Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. Whoever receives one such child in my name receives me.” (Matthew 18:3–5)
That attitude of a child is not about how much they know or how dependent the child is on adults to take care of them. It is about trust, receptivity, being eager to listen and obey, about being open, being who they are without putting on a false layer to cover up their sense of inadequacy.

Think about the result of a child of loving parents getting the idea that his parents would not give him food and clothing unless he earned them in some way. This is part of what Jesus meant. Children of God are to remain trusting, not spoil their sweet relationship with God by thinking they must work for spiritual blessings. The NT describes this:
You are severed from Christ, you who would be justified by the law; you have fallen away from grace. (Galatians 5:4)
This could be illustrated by one person who also knows the first family I described. When I mentioned the mature godliness I saw, he described it as “childish” in critical terms, rather than “child-like” as a virtue. Later, that same person expressed that applying Scripture is paramount rather than first interpreting it properly. He is heavy into ‘doing’ without first seeking what God wants. He seems to be always tired and without deep joy.

Without knowing the human heart, I cannot say what goes on in this critic’s mind. He doesn’t seem to think Jesus is a “hard man” like the one He describes in Matthew 25:24, yet without the transparency of a child, who can know what drives him or others like him who dismiss the ‘children’ of God as naive and in need of much guidance.

Another characteristic of those who deeply trust Christ like a child is that they have realized the truth Jesus describes here:
Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” (Matthew 11:28–30)
Jesus would not have to say this if so many people, Christians included, have not bowed their necks to the yoke of Christ as to a yoke of bondage. They read these verses as if they are a fairy tale. Sometimes when a Christian is in bondage and then finds true liberty, they think there is something wrong about their experience.

I get that. The liberty of transparency and total trust at times has made me feel like I should be ‘doing something’ or be more burdened for the messes and the needy people that I have prayed for. Then God reminds me that He will tell me what to do and when to do it. As for my thoughts, He says this to show me how He wants me to think:
Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you. (Philippians 4:8–9)
PRAY: Jesus, there are times for being burdened about the ugly stuff, for thinking about needy folks and doing what I can for them, but I’m not to be driven by a sense of duty, only by what You reveal to me and speak about directly to me. I’m also not to care if others think I’m naive or childish. They simply do not realize the freedom for which You have set me free. Forgive them and even better, show them what it is like to be Your child.

 

No comments: