May 19, 2024

Charting a course?


Sometimes the needs in the world and even the needs nearby can be overwhelming. I know I’m not responsible for all of them, even to pray for all of them. At the same time, I’m thankful that God hears and answers prayer.
I’m also thankful that God does not tell me, “Go and do everything.” I know that He gives me what I am to do rather than thinking I need to do it all. That burden alone would drain the little strength that I do have and make me more tired and less useful than ever. Instead, He wants me to focus on what He has gifted me to do. He says:
Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit... (1 Corinthians 12:4)
To one he gave five talents, to another two, to another one, to each according to his ability. (Matthew 25:15)
In the above verse, ‘talent’ is not the word for abilities we use. Instead, it means a unit of currency used in those days. It could be better translated as ‘resources’ and therefore means God gives me the resources I need to use the gifts He has given me.

Those resources may be few or many. The to-do list can be long or short. God considers these as part of my job-description and is wise in what He asks of me.
The steps of a man (or a woman) are established by the Lord, when he delights in his way; though he fall, he shall not be cast headlong, for the Lord upholds his hand. (Psalm 37:23–24)
This makes the Christian life less confusing. God is not asking me to witness to world leaders, but I am to pray for them. He is not asking me to stack chairs after our church service, but I am to eat and visit with those He puts in front of me. I’m not asked to teach a college class but I am called upon to share what He teaches me with those who are puzzled about the same topics.

This trust in Him to work His way is easy and natural. I don’t need to strain or worry about what comes next for He is well able to show me. This is also His way of freedom:
For the law of the Spirit of life has set you free in Christ Jesus from the law of sin and death. (Romans 8:2)
PRAY: Jesus, I feel heavy today because of the burdens shared with us yesterday. The list was long, sad, and troubling. At the same time, I hear You whisper as I pray for the person who shared them, and for the things told to us. You keep saying, “I got this” and without that lovely assurance of Your care and power, I would be totally overwhelmed. Thank You. I will keep praying as You ask me to do and glad that the tasks You give me does not need to be carried all by myself!


No comments: