May 26, 2024

What delights God?

 
When Eve was tempted in the garden, Genesis 3 describes her response as “delight” meaning a desire or inclination to want something. Later, Numbers 14 says God will bring His people into the land because He “delights” in them, but this is a different word. It means to take a high degree of pleasure or mental satisfaction in something.

I’m thankful for this difference because I feel God’s delight often. Those around me, even my hubby, sometimes assume that when I express delight in something, I want it. They might try to give it to me, but I have to explain that just because I like something, whatever it is, does not mean I want it. Some examples? Horses, unusual paintings, clothing in a store window or jewelry that someone is wearing. I’ve even had friends take off their necklace and put it on me because I said I liked it.

As for God’s delight, there are many examples of what gives Him satisfaction. For instance:
The Lord your God will make you abundantly prosperous in all the work of your hand, in the fruit of your womb and in the fruit of your cattle and in the fruit of your ground. For the Lord will again take delight in prospering you, as he took delight in your fathers... (Deuteronomy 30:9)
Blessed be the Lord your God, who has delighted in you and set you on the throne of Israel! Because the Lord loved Israel forever, he has made you king, that you may execute justice and righteousness. (1 Kings 10:9

Most of the use of this term describing what delights God is in the Psalms and the Prophets:

He brought me out into a broad place; he rescued me, because he delighted in me. (Psalm 18:19)
He trusts in the Lord; let him deliver him; let him rescue him, for he delights in him! (Psalm 22:8)
Let those who delight in my righteousness shout for joy and be glad and say evermore, “Great is the Lord, who delights in the welfare of his servant!” (Psalm 35:27)
Behold, you delight in truth in the inward being, and you teach me wisdom in the secret heart. (Psalm 51:6)
The Lord was pleased, for his righteousness’ sake, to magnify his law and make it glorious. (Isaiah 42:21)
Thus says the Lord: “Let not the wise man boast in his wisdom, let not the mighty man boast in his might, let not the rich man boast in his riches, but let him who boasts boast in this, that he understands and knows me, that I am the Lord who practices steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in the earth. For in these things I delight, declares the Lord.” (Jeremiah 9:23–24)
For I desire steadfast love and not sacrifice, the knowledge of God rather than burnt offerings. (Hosea 6:6)
As for other verses that tell me what I should take delight in, there is only one verse in the NT that even uses this term and it echos several OT verses that say the same thing:
His delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night. (Psalm 1:2)
Great are the works of the Lord, studied by all who delight in them. (Psalm 111:2)
Lead me in the path of your commandments, for I delight in it. (Psalm 119:35)
The NT verse: “For I delight in the law of God, in my inner being.” (Romans 7:22) However, this passage goes on to describe this inner delight conflicting with sin and the battle to serve God when sin wants something else.

So why does God focus on what delights Him in the OT and says nothing about it in the NT? I’ve heard people say that they want to “please God” but that is not a NT issue. Romans 3 is clear that we all fall short. The only One who pleases God is Jesus Christ and it is in Him we have any ability to love and obey Him. Trying to do it by our own efforts is futile. God delights in showing goodness to us, but without Jesus, we cannot delight in Him or in His Law.

PRAY: Lord God, this is why I worship You and delight in Your Son. Without Him, my only delight is sin but because of Him, I can delight in You and Your righteousness and commands, Your people and in their well-being. Jesus changes everything.


No comments: