May 16, 2024

His Peace


Prayer is hard work at times. Part of that work is physical because the only way I can keep my easily distracted mind from wandering away from conversing with God is by walking while I pray. The older I get, the more challenging is the walking part.
However, in some ways, prayer is lighter because God is teaching me to say yes to His will in all things, not just those prayed for, but He is working to bring all my desires into conformity with His own  perfect will, even when I have no idea what He has in mind.

Today’s reading reminds me that God works miracles in wills that are surrendered to Him, not that He does what I ask, but that He changes the hard thing into an easy one, and makes me love to do the thing I formerly avoided. Like an ox, if I rebel against the yoke and try to avoid it, I find it hard and galling, but when I take His yoke on by consenting to it, that hard thing becomes easy, even comfortable. As the devotional says, in this life I need not carry my burdens alone because Jesus is my burden-bearer and I can lay on Him every concern.
Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” (Matthew 11:28–30)
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. (Philippians 4:6)
Jesus promised peace, not like the peace we often pray for. We pray for the problem to be fixed or removed, but His peace is an untroubled heart.
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid. (John 14:27)
He also gives me my part in finding this peace.
And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body. And be thankful. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God. And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him. (Colossians 3:15–17)
You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you. Trust in the Lord forever, for the Lord God is an everlasting rock. (Isaiah 26:3–4)
Peace rules when I am thankful, when His Word fills my heart and mind, when I am in rich fellowship with other believers, when my heart is filled with worship, and when I am doing all that He wants me to do:
What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you. (Philippians 4:9)
Peace isn’t about walking less or slower, just as it isn’t about expecting God to do everything the way I want it done. It is about focus and trust, and about total surrender.

PRAY: Jesus, I’m also noticing that peace sets me free from that nagging sense that I’m not doing enough, or saying enough, or being what I should be. Your peace is about focusing on You to the point that I can hear Your voice when You want me to speak or act, and be content and resting in You, letting You decide how best to answer my prayers. It is easy and light — and if I am not content with that, perhaps I am thinking too much of myself (pride) instead of letting You be my Savior.


No comments: