May 2, 2024

Trusting my Father


Yesterday a person was unkind toward me, not realizing it or apologizing. At first I felt sad for myself, then sad for that person because she obviously does not know the effect of her actions and often does the same thing to others. She also does not know Jesus, the Giver of wisdom and love.

This incident gave me a greater burden for the lost, for this person in particular but also for others who do the same thing toward people without realizing that their behavior is unloving. Besides, I’ve done the same thing and felt the sting of conviction and the shame of being unkind. This is something that the Holy Spirit can take care of in the right way and the right time. I need to trust God for this.

Today’s devotional talks again about the beauty of a healthy child/father relationship and how it illustrates the relationship of a Christian to our Heavenly Father. However, that comparison is not always the best.

USA statistics say 43% of US children live without their father. 90% of homeless and runaway children are from fatherless homes. 63% of youth suicides are from fatherless homes. 80% of rapists motivated with displaced anger come from fatherless homes. Statistics Canada are somewhat better with about 13% of children in fatherless households.

These children can suffer lasting damage such as poverty, dropping out of school, addicted to drugs, having children out of wedlock, or living a life of crime and ending up in prison. Being without a father or having a bad father strongly affects a child and strongly affects a child’s view of God.

My father was always there, and a good person. However, my parents were told I would not live past 16 so they spoiled me by providing most things that I wanted. When I became a Christian, I thought God would be like that. It was an adjustment to realize that He is not. Certainly He wants the best for me, but for a few years I had to learn that His best was not the same as my ideas.

Yet the marvel of God is that He does give all things to His children — all things that are good for us. Trusting Him means this:
So let no one boast in men. For all things are yours, whether Paul or Apollos or Cephas or the world or life or death or the present or the future—all are yours, and you are Christ’s, and Christ is God’s. (1 Corinthians 3:21–23)
And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. (Romans 8:28)
And if you are Christ’s, then you are Abraham’s offspring, heirs according to promise. (Galatians 3:29)
This isn’t about stuff. It is about being like Jesus, having the fullness of all that He is and bearing the fruit of the Spirit so I am joyful, at peace, contented, and loving Him and others. It means that I can trust Him to take care of my life, reputation, needs, emotions, desires, and ability to deal with whatever comes along. I’ve often called myself ‘God’s spoiled brat’ because His care is so totally undeserved and always a blessing and even a surprise.

He is a good Father. He actually is like my dad but instead of giving me what I want, He changed my wants! I don’t need to worry about physical needs or any other kind of needs. Holding His hand is enough to show me that all my riches are in Christ. He is enough.

PRAY: Jesus, it is good to be overwhelmed with a thankful heart. You supply all I need and the contentment to be satisfied with it. Yes, there are times when I feel left out, ignored, or neglected, but negativity comes from thinking the world’s thoughts, or wanting stuff that my old nature wants, or listening to the devil’s lies. Protecting me from my spiritual enemies and from errors in what I want, is the Father’s job and again, I’m thankful for His care.


No comments: