May 24, 2024

Time with Jesus

  


Yesterday the seniors in our church went on a field trip to our city’s spectacular main library. I qualify by age but knew I could not tour a library. I’d find a book and a chair to curl up in and read. Besides, Thursday is prayer day with several others. I knew they would be at the library, but I went to our little prayer room at the church and spent the time praying alone.

But not alone. It was a special time with Jesus and I had so many things on my heart. Friends whose family has fallen into sin, other friends whose relationships are broken, an amazing ministry being attacked by civil authorities, a long list of prodigals and others caught by Satan’s schemes, Christians who are confused about the role of ‘works’ in their walk with Jesus, unsaved family and friends, resistance all over the world to the will of God… and more.

What a delight to freely talk to Him about all these things and return home much later and feeling lighter. I pray at home but not as long and sometimes not as focused.

Readings today offered thoughts of the delight of being with God because of despair, and knowing that He is with me:
In the midst of the awfulness, a touch comes, and you know it is the right hand of Jesus Christ. The right hand not of restraint nor of correction nor of chastisement, but the right hand of the Everlasting Father. Whenever His hand is laid upon you, it is ineffable peace and comfort, the sense that “underneath are the everlasting arms,” full of sustaining and comfort and strength. When once His touch comes, nothing at all can cast you into fear again. In the midst of all His ascended glory the Lord Jesus comes to speak to an insignificant disciple, and to say—“Fear not.” His tenderness is ineffably sweet.
At the end of this prayer time, the sense of awfulness that began it was lifted. I also read Psalms and felt free of the burdens that brought me to that prayer place. How delightful to sense the support that only Jesus can give. In those psalms, phrases jumped out to bless me:
O my God, I cry by day, but you do not answer, and by night, but I find no rest. Yet you are holy, enthroned on the praises of Israel. In you our fathers trusted; they trusted, and you delivered them. To you they cried and were rescued; in you they trusted and were not put to shame. (Psalm 22:2–5)
Give justice to the weak and the fatherless; maintain the right of the afflicted and the destitute. Rescue the weak and the needy; deliver them from the hand of the wicked.” (Psalm 82:3–4)
Praise the Lord! Blessed is the man who fears the Lord, who greatly delights in his commandments! His offspring will be mighty in the land; the generation of the upright will be blessed… For the righteous will never be moved; he will be remembered forever. He is not afraid of bad news; his heart is firm, trusting in the Lord. His heart is steady; he will not be afraid, until he looks in triumph on his adversaries. (Psalm 112:1–8)
Today’s usual reading speaks of spiritual growth in which God changes His people. Meekness and quietness of spirit characterize daily life in a submissive acceptance of His will. Hourly events reveal pliability in His hands. There is sweetness under provocation; calmness in the midst of turmoil and bustle; a listening to the wishes of others, an insensibility to slights and affronts; absence of worry or anxiety; deliverance from care and fear.

I’m not always there, yet easily see how spending time with Jesus makes a huge difference in spiritual development.

PRAY: Jesus, thank You that in You I can become more serene, more heavenly minded, more transformed, less troubled by the bombardment of burdens. Thank You for allowing me to talk with You. When we are together, my burdens are not so heavy and You are continually saying, “I got this” giving me reassurance of Your amazing love and support. Praise Your holy name!




No comments: