January 26, 2024

Trust, really trust

It is easy to feel sorry for myself. I get over bacterial pneumonia and pick up what is being called the ‘coughing virus’ that some say can persist for several weeks. In contrast to that, my devotional reading tells me that God cares for me — because He is my Father and it is His business to meet all of my needs. 


I could use a break from this coughing. It is hard to sleep for more than a few hours at a time yet I’m told to let Him know when I need anything and then leave the supplying of that need to Him. 

Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand; do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:5–7)

I checked out the word “reasonableness” since it isn’t used much in my vocabulary. It is about being mild, gentle, moderate, patient, certainly not feeling sorry for myself but having a gracious attitude toward others, thinking of their needs instead of my own.


This reminds me of a truth that shows up in the book of Job. After a long revelation from God about what He does and His power, Job answered the Lord and said: 

“I know that you can do all things, and that no purpose of yours can be thwarted. ‘Who is this that hides counsel without knowledge?’ Therefore I have uttered what I did not understand, things too wonderful for me, which I did not know. Hear, and I will speak; I will question you, and you make it known to me.’ I had heard of you by the hearing of the ear, but now my eye sees you; therefore I despise myself, and repent in dust and ashes.” (Job 42:1–6)

After the Lord had spoken these words to Job, the Lord said to Eliphaz the Temanite: 

“My anger burns against you and against your two friends, for you have not spoken of me what is right, as my servant Job has. Now therefore take seven bulls and seven rams and go to my servant Job and offer up a burnt offering for yourselves. And my servant Job shall pray for you, for I will accept his prayer not to deal with you according to your folly. For you have not spoken of me what is right, as my servant Job has.” 

So Eliphaz the Temanite and Bildad the Shuhite and Zophar the Naamathite went and did what the Lord had told them, and the Lord accepted Job’s prayer. And the Lord restored the fortunes of Job, when he had prayed for his friends. And the Lord gave Job twice as much as he had before. (Job 42:7-10)

The point? Job was not healed and restored until he repented of his attitude — the questioning of what God was doing in his life — and prayed for his friends instead of being so focused on himself.


The devotional writer says the children of a good human father are at peace because they trust in their father’s care, but the children of the heavenly Father too often have no peace because they are afraid to trust in His care. They make their requests known to Him, but that is all they do, particularly if nothing changes. 


Prayer for others and prayer for my needs can be a mere exercise rather than actually believing that He will do it or is doing it. I can go on carrying my burdens, even questioning God’s care as if it is not a reality.


Like Job, this is folly. This man needed to realize the reality of God’s care, not just the theology of it, but a true belief that He is a good Father who is loving, tender, and full of kindness toward the helpless beings He has brought into existence. His fatherhood did not stop at creation. He cares for what happens to me, and like Job, I don’t know why I am suffering, but He is telling me that He cares and He is using this for my good, even though I am blind to what that means, at least right now.


PRAY: Jesus, forgive me for doubting your care and Your wisdom. Help me to pray for others, resist the doubts that yell at me, and keep on learning about You and Your loving care. This is a difficult test of faith, yet I know that You are at work to help me pass the test and simply trust You.


No comments: