January 25, 2024

Proud of my humility?


Today’s devotional brings out an issue I’ve never thought about before. It is the notion that piety is fraught with doubt and fears, and when we feel that sort of weakness, we are pleasing God.

The writer goes on to compare this ‘piety’ with a child’s relationship with earthly parents. If the child thinks their parents will fail them, would that please mom or dad? If my parents thought I worried that they would let me down, would they rejoice in my ‘weakness’ and be pleased?

True piety means to be devoted to God. It is not about fear that He will fail but about knowing that He will not fail because I am the weak one, not God. Yes, this humility can be faked, even be about a false pretense of devotion that talks faithfulness but does not live it, but it cannot be applied to God.

Perhaps the opposite of true humility is a persistent trust in myself. I recall going for a walk and praying about problems and how I thought God should solve them. I clearly heard His response to my ideas: “Elsie, get out of my to-do list.”

At the time, I laughed at my arrogance and His reminder that I cannot do what He does. Now I’ve reached a deeper understanding of what it means to be weak. It can be physical, but much more. Paul had a ‘thorn in the flesh’ — perhaps an eyesight problem. Whatever it was, he felt this weakness hindered his ministry. So he prayed:

Three times I pleaded with the Lord about this, that it should leave me. But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong. (2 Corinthians 12:8–10)

Piety is not doubt and fear regarding God but the realization that I am unable and have no options but to trust the power of God to enable me with whatever I need to serve Him.

Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you, casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you. (1 Peter 5:6–7)
This is what pleases God! It could be any act of serving or obedience, even about what I eat:
But whoever has doubts is condemned if he eats, because the eating is not from faith. For whatever does not proceed from faith is sin. (Romans 14:23)
Note that “whatever does not proceed from faith” includes doubts and fears, so to say these ‘weaknesses’ please God is an error because doubt and fear is sin — and sin does not please God.

So what is the point? I could compare my sense of being unable with those who trust the flesh and be proud of my weaknesses, proud of my humility? Sounds stupid in black and white, but it can happen. Far better to stick to true piety which is total devotion to God and not use my weaknesses as an ego trip. The best I can do is be content that these inabilities are what God wants for me.

PRAY: Jesus, You choose weakness and God used that submission to bring salvation to a sin-sick world. In Your weakness, it was not Yourself and Your weakness that took center-stage. Instead, You said, “Not my will but Thine be done” reflecting total trust and dependence on Your Heavenly Father and giving up every other thought or idea in order that His will would be done. Your piety changed the world. Enable me to be weak with that same attitude of not having my way but trusting Your way — totally.


No comments: