January 5, 2024

For God so loved . . .


The author of today’s devotions makes a thought-provoking observation. She imagines a courtroom in which the accused stands before a judge thinking about all that could happen. Then she says that the thoughts of the man are irrelevant; only what the judge thinks is important. The accused is totally at the mercy (or not) of the judge.

Then she applies this thought to our relationship with God. She says, “The only vital thing in our relation with the Lord is not what our feelings toward Him are but what His feelings toward us are.”

My first thought was this passage:

What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things? Who shall bring any charge against God’s elect? It is God who justifies. Who is to condemn? Christ Jesus is the one who died—more than that, who was raised—who is at the right hand of God, who indeed is interceding for us. Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword? As it is written, “For your sake we are being killed all the day long; we are regarded as sheep to be slaughtered.” No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Romans 8:31–39)
The devotional writer calls her illustration about the importance of the judge’s thoughts as a ‘self-evident fact’ — and as I read through the above passage, it is so logical and plain that God loves me that I wonder why I would ever doubt it. He sent Jesus to die for me. Jesus lives forever to intercede for me. Nothing can change the love of God for me, even if persecutors put me to death I will forever be with the Lord who loves me. Nothing can change that.

Other verses come to mind:
The Lord is on my side; I will not fear. What can man do to me? (Psalm 118:6)
Little children, you are from God and have overcome them, for he who is in you is greater than he who is in the world. (1 John 4:4)
My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous. (1 John 2:1)
But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. (1 Corinthians 15:57)
Think of the accused standing before a judge and fearing that the maximum sentence will be given to him. He has no idea that the judge is merciful, nor that someone else, even the judge’s own son, has already offered to take his place and serve his sentence, even the death penalty for his crimes. This is what the Judge, our Holy God, has done. He loves us so much that He sent His Son to take our place and set us free.

PRAY: Lord Jesus, so easily I forget that You totally love me, and that Your love is enough. Forgive my doubts and my memory lapses. Fill me with that love, not just to reassure me but that I will love and always obey You, and also love others with that same kind of unchanging, sacrificial love that You pour out on me.


No comments: