January 20, 2024

Perfect Care


This week seems as if it did not happen. Admitted to the hospital with bacterial pneumonia was not in my mind at all on Monday and now it seems a remote thing — because I was sent home last night! The doctor was amazed at my recovery. So are a few others, but the people who prayed all know the power of God.

What many of them do not know is what I am eager to tell them: God had me there for His reasons. One is that I have never experienced His kindness from literally dozens of people like it was poured out during these few days. The medical staff all have that attitude from the Holy Spirit and it was utterly amazing. I have been blessed.

Second, but it should be first, is that getting well is nothing compared to experiencing God in sickness. Today’s devotions compare that to the care of a mother for her hungry and needy child. For her, the child comes first. She would starve herself before allowing the child to starve. Not only that, she wisely chooses the most nutritious food, not candy or junk food. She wants the best for the child, and that may not seem the best according to the child. This is what the NT says:

What father among you, if his son asks for a fish, will instead of a fish give him a serpent; or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion? If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will the heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!” (Luke 11:11–13)
What our Father gives may look to us like a serpent or a scorpion, but since He gives it, we may be sure it cannot be anything but the best thing for us. For if parents know how to give good gifts, how much more must He.

That said, for many Christians, sickness looks more like a scorpion than a steak. We want to be healthy. However, this week had I been healthy I would have missed the most precious experiences with my heavenly Father.

Relying on God is like being in the hospital. Nice room. No need to supply or prepare my own food. All I needed to do was eat and live, without care or cost and surrounded by kindness and love. No worries and total trust that He was giving me His best. Now that I am home, I need to plan and prepare meals, clean up after myself, and make do without a servant in sight. Yet this is not about being pampered. It is about the wonder of His love, whether I am needy or not. If God is only as good as the mothers He has made, where can there be any room left for a thought of care or of fear? And if He is as much truer to the ideal of motherhood than an earthly mother can be, as His infiniteness is above hers, then what great joy and confidence in Him can fill my heart!

PRAY: Again I say, no matter what life brings, God is in it and when I yield to His wisdom instead of fret to have my own way, I discover again and again that God is enough. Jesus, You have opened the windows of glory again to me. I want all Christians to know that being sick is not our biggest threat — but being fearful that it is the worst that can happen is far worse — because that fear keeps me from being mothered by Him.




No comments: