January 28, 2024

Make No Assumptions…


Several new neighbors moved into our complex last year. While we hoped for the best, we had no idea what to expect from them — at least until we got to know them. Getting to know people means time spent, conversations, working through expectations, and having a mutual desire to know and be known.

On that note, those who do not know each other can develop suspicions and errors. They drive a beater so we assume they are not well off. They put potted plants on their front step so they must love gardening. They only nod when outside at the same time we are so we assume they are not friendly. Experience should teach us to not make assumptions, but they happen.

This happens in the lives of those who do not know God. He isn’t visible so some assume He does not exist. Life is hard so God does not care. Or He is an angry judge watching for our slightest faults, or a harsh taskmaster, or a self-absorbed deity demanding honor and glory, or a far-off sovereign concerned only with His own affairs and indifferent to our welfare. With such assumptions, loving God and trusting Him is impossible.

Sad but true, even Christians can make assumptions about God. We blame Him for our weaknesses and often assume that He does not really care about our well-being. With false ideas of who God is and what He is like, doubts and worries can make His people unhappy to say the least. Our only hope is to pay attention to what He says. Not listening to what He says about Himself is a recipe for disaster.
If you turn at my reproof, behold, I will pour out my spirit to you; I will make my words known to you. Because I have called and you refused to listen, have stretched out my hand and no one has heeded, because you have ignored all my counsel and would have none of my reproof, I also will laugh at your calamity; I will mock when terror strikes you, when terror strikes you like a storm and your calamity comes like a whirlwind, when distress and anguish come upon you. Then they will call upon me, but I will not answer; they will seek me diligently but will not find me. Because they hated knowledge and did not choose the fear of the Lord, would have none of my counsel and despised all my reproof, therefore they shall eat the fruit of their way, and have their fill of their own devices. For the simple are killed by their turning away, and the complacency of fools destroys them; but whoever listens to me will dwell secure and will be at ease, without dread of disaster.” (Proverbs 1:23–33)
This passage essentially says to listen to God, get to know Him and abandon any ideas other than what He reveals. The Bible is clear in saying that anyone who really knows God will not have uncomfortable thoughts about Him. There may be plenty of outward discomforts and many earthly sorrows and trials, but through them all, the soul who knows God will live in a fortress of inner peace. “Whoever listens to me shall dwell secure, and will be at ease, without dread of disaster.”

How can we question what God says about Himself? Dare we call Him a liar? To do so means missing the wonder of His love and care for us and that He want the very best for us, even in our darkest trials. His nature leaves me no loopholes, fears or worries — yet I need to realize the truth about who He is.

PRAY: “For God so loved that He gave” and You want me secure and fearless in knowing and believing that. Keep revealing Yourself to me that I never forget or doubt the wonder of Your grace. I have no idea of the ‘why’ of my present trial, but do not let it change how I think about You.

No comments: