January 24, 2024

A Family Matter


Yesterday was not a perfect day. I slept for most of it, then had trouble sleeping at night. However, something good happened; Christian friends brought over soup, bread, and muffins. This is one of the blessings of being in the family of God.
So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God. (Ephesians 2:19)
My theology says that our Heavenly Father takes care of us, yet the thoughtfulness of others in His household makes His care tangible, far more than a matter of faith. We are told to care for one another and when it happens. This visible expression is not only the action of an obedient and caring family member, but God expressing His love through their obedience.
So then, as we have opportunity, let us do good to everyone, and especially to those who are of the household of faith. (Galatians 6:10)
Today’s devotional points out the opposite by reference to this verse;
But if anyone does not provide for his relatives, and especially for members of his household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever. (1 Timothy 5:8)
Since I am a member of the “household of God,” this applies to God. He is the Father, the head of His family. If He should fail to provide for me, His own words would condemn Him. While many who suffer think that God has forgotten them, that cannot be true. He provides, not only soup and bread but all that I need. I cannot say otherwise for if I think He has abandoned me, then I am saying He is worse that an unbeliever. This is so wrong. I may not understand the purpose for my suffering, but to even think that He is not providing for me shows a complete misunderstanding of who He is and how He cares for His people.

As the devotional writer says, knowing this lifts the burdens of life from my shoulders and lays them on His. My fears, anxieties, and questionings are His concern, not mine. Just as humanity demands that parents care for and protect their children, this is my Father’s care and protection, even His divinely implanted instinct put into the heart of of those with children. It displays that my Creator, who made human parents responsible toward their children, is himself equally responsible toward His children.

Knowing this means I can rest in the care of my Father. I don’t need to listen to temptations that cause doubt or anxiety or fear because if I did listen, I would be saying that my Heavenly Father is not worthy of my trust.

PRAY: Jesus, with this illness, I’ve not prayed much and felt guilty for this focus on how I’m feeling. Yet that is a plus in that I’m trusting You with all the matters at hand. I can rest in Your care knowing that You are faithful and that I need not worry or fret about anything. Thank You!


No comments: