May 31, 2023

In God’s hands

 

For the past few weeks, I’ve been caught up in what I thought God was doing and glorying in it, then found out I was wrong. Even if God was doing something, I was trying to share in His glory. Today, I read this:

A great concert violinist wanted to prove a point. He rented a music hall and announced that he would play a concert on a $20,000 violin. That night, the music hall was filled with music lovers, all anxious to hear this expensive instrument. The violinist gave an exquisite performance and received a thunderous standing ovation. When the applause subsided, he threw the violin to the floor, stomped it to pieces, and walked off the stage. The audience gasped, then sat in stunned silence.

Within seconds the stage manager approached the microphone and said, “Ladies and gentlemen, to put you at ease, the violin that was just destroyed was a $20 violin. The master will now return to play the remainder of his concert on the $20,000 instrument.” At the conclusion of his concert, he received another standing ovation. Few people could tell the difference between the two violins. His point was obvious: it isn’t the violin that makes the music; it’s the violinist.

It is bad enough to feel like a $20 violin but worse to realize that my performance can be mere noise. This isn’t about God using me to make music, but about me trying to do it without reading the notes. This is not to say that God is unable to use weak and useless people, but to remember He does it — I don’t. And it is for His glory, not mine. And my attitude is supposed to be like His:

Yet I do not seek my own glory; there is One who seeks it, and he is the judge. (John 8:50)

Jesus gives clear instructions about His ability and mine . . .

I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinedresser. Every branch in me that does not bear fruit he takes away, and every branch that does bear fruit he prunes, that it may bear more fruit. Already you are clean because of the word that I have spoken to you. Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing . . . . If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. By this my Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit and so prove to be my disciples. (John 15:1–8)

Jesus said that seeking my own glory indicates I am speaking on my own authority, not His (John 7:18) and that He did not receive glory from people (John 5:41). He also warned:

Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven. (Matthew 6:1)

No wonder the Master stomped on my violin. Regardless of my worth, I can do nothing without Him and He longs to reward me for doing right. Robbing Him of glory is foolhardy.

PRAY: Jesus, I am thankful You promise to complete what You have begun in me. I’m also thankful that You forgive what I confess. It is okay to be joyful when I see You at work, but how foolish to take glory for myself in what You are doing. The difference may be subtle, even invisible to others, yet You make me aware of my selfishness. Grant me grace to be more and more alert to the times my old nature is tempted to push Your Spirit out so I can pat myself on the back. Instead, enable me to honor You — for You alone are worthy.

READ: 1 Timothy 1:12–17. What truths did Paul keep in mind as He served God?

 

 

No comments: