May 16, 2023

Friendship Evangelism?

 

Today’s devotional begins with, “Friendships can provide the most fertile soil for evangelism.” It goes on to describe how Philip knew several other fishermen whom he told about Jesus and invited them, “We have found him of whom Moses in the Law and also the prophets wrote, Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph.” (John 1:45)

While this was an example of inviting friends to Jesus, the situation was unique to their circumstance; all of them were looking for the Messiah. They were ready to check Jesus out because of their anticipation.

The people in our world today may or may not be in that frame of mind. Many have decided there is no God, or that Jesus didn’t exist, or if He did, he was merely a teacher. For some, He is merely a swear word. It takes more than “Come and see” to arouse the interest of people in this century than it did then.

Several online articles point out the flaws of friendship evangelism. One of them says friendships with an agenda are never true friendships. In a genuine friendship, people accept one another regardless of differences and are mutually open to learning from each other, whether they agree with us or not. In other words, some Christians treat people like projects and most people can see through their motives.

One author said that friendship evangelism is never really about friendship when it has a church growth agenda. In the gospels, Jesus offered friendship to all sort of people, some of whom decided to follow him. Being someone’s friend does not end because they will not come to church with me!

Another critic says that this notion can produce an anxiety that we are failures if we don’t take every opportunity to share the gospel. He asks if that fits with Jesus saying we come to him because His yoke is easy and His burden is light. (Matthew 11:30)

These negatives make me think of what God has taught me about this topic. For one thing, others have expressed that they know we are Christians without us saying anything to them. While evangelism requires words (faith comes by hearing), the way I live is also an important witness to Christ’s saving power.

God also reminds me of an author who said, “When I try to be like Jesus, people see only me, but when I am me, they say they see Jesus.” (Book: Out of the Saltshaker) People want honesty and authenticity, no agenda, and no hidden plan. I’ve also notice that when I confess my struggles and failures, they open up and are more willing to talk about their own struggles.

Being real is attractive. People know where a transparent person is coming from, what we think, how we believe, what we are really like. Being an example of a ‘perfect’ Christian comes across as phony and even hypocrisy to those who do not know Jesus. They often recognize believers, not by our perfections but by our speaking truth in love . . . even if that speaking truth means telling an unbeliever how often I struggle to obey God and how much I need Him to help me live for Him. I’m convinced that both Christians and real friends should never hide, play games, or cover up what they really think.

PRAY: Lord, it is not always easy to be honest about failure, not as easy as boasting about success, or faking it, yet this is how You want me to be as Your friend. I can’t hide anything from You and You don’t want me to even try. You are with those who have a contrite and lowly spirit, a heart that is humble because we are conscious of our sin and astounded by the amazing grace of God. Being honest and transparent is the most important part of being Your friend. I seek this attitude in my friendships, and want it for myself. Transparency strikes me as deeply important in evangelism too, as well as in all my relationships.

THINK: about where people are and what they value in a friend. Go there and understand them rather than expecting them to come where I am. Even the disciples didn’t expect the fish to jump into the boat and had to learn to cast their nets wherever and whenever their Friend Jesus told them to do so. No agenda, just listening for instructions.

 

 

No comments: