May 4, 2023

Ministry in and out of church . . .

 

They have been called pew-warmers. They come to church every Sunday, even take classes for this or that, but never plug in to serve. In a church the size of ours, it is easy to let others do it. Most of them are younger, have more energy, and if they take turns, no task takes much of a chunk of time or effort. Once a month to wash brunch tablecloths or clean up after everyone eats is easy. However, there are a few who come in late, leave early. It seems going to church is like attending a movie theater.

It is easy to be critical. What about those who spend hours preparing sermons? Or Sunday school lessons? Or leading small groups? We know that serving Sundays in the church building is not the only option for doing ministry.

And Jesus called to him his twelve disciples and gave them authority over unclean spirits, to cast them out, and to heal every disease and every affliction.” (Matthew 10:1)

“Disciple” means learner and “apostle” means sent out. Jesus taught His disciples what to do and how to do it. Some of this was ministry toward one another, yet in this verse, it was outside the body of Christ. Those with unclean spirits needed healing. Those with physical disease and affliction needed healing. Those who didn’t know about Jesus needed to hear about Him. Today, needs are like that and even greater and more varied.

A father tells us that his daughter, age 14, has had an evil spirit since she was very young. She needs the ministry of deliverance. Daily we hear of those with cancer and other diseases. Many fear death and need to know about Jesus. People have physical  needs that can be met by our time, money, even just our attention. I read yesterday that loneliness is destroying lives just as much as smoking cigarettes. The Bible calls me to do what I can to demonstrate the love of God with my efforts to minister to others.

I just read part of a book that describes the need for prayer and how many Christians make excuses for not praying or for very little praying. One prayer warrior said, “ . . . . one of the crying evils of these times, maybe of all times—little or no praying. Of these two evils, perhaps little praying is worse than no praying . . . . Little praying is a kind of make-believe, a salve for the conscience, a farce and a delusion.” (E. M. Bounds)

These thoughts touch my heart. I can make excuses too. Often, they involve being too busy, or too tired. However, Jesus taught His disciples by example. He prayed in His busyness and fatigue. And this is what He wants from me. It too is an important ministry.

Prayer requests are sometimes listed in church bulletins. Prayer meetings are necessary because without prayer, the church weakens. Some will eventually shut their doors. The leaders in a prayerless church cannot be strong in the Lord without prayer support. Prayer is one ‘ministry’ that is possible no matter when or where, and not restricted to the building.

Another ‘out there’ ministry is the Great Commission.

Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.” (Matthew 28:19–20)

How many folks that warm the pews are out there warming up hearts to faith in Christ? How many are sharing Jesus with unsaved family and friends? How many are making disciples without being on a list in the church office? I heard last week from a woman whose faith was mightily restored because of a letter a Christian wrote to another person and that other person shared it with her. Ministry takes many forms and God uses our acts of obedience, however ‘small’ they might seem.

Jesus, in reading these things, I’m convicted of my excuse-making. I’m not called to teach Sunday school or make/serve/clean up in our brunch ministry, but I am called to pray, not just for those who do these things, but for many other needy people and needy places in this messed up world. Forgive my lapses. Give me an eagerness to pray that overcomes any excuses I make and overwhelms my tendency to ‘forget’ which is the worst excuse of all. Fill my heart and mind with what You want me to pray about, and the things You want me to do when I should be the answer to my own prayer requests. Fill me with Your Spirit and may I listen well and obey quickly. Amen.

READ often about the way Jesus lived and how He prayed. Focus on Him and hear what He wants me to do and how He wants me to pray.

 

 

 

No comments: