May 9, 2023

Life’s Lessons

 

Today’s devotional begins by saying Peter learned five lessons that every believer must also learn. These lessons were part of what he needed to be an effective leader, but they were also important in the transformation process of salvation. Each Christian is to be like Jesus and God uses all things to make that happen.

The devotional lists these five for Peter: submission, restraint, humility, sacrifice, and love. While these qualities are important for every believer regardless of the life Jesus’ calls us to, the methods He uses vary. I learned submission by being married to an unsaved husband. Even though my husband is now a godly Christian, that lesson is never 100% learned. I experience constant opportunities to practice yielding to my sovereign God who controls all demands on my life.

Restraint is about self-control, listed in Galatians 5 as a fruit of the Spirit. This is not me controlling myself but me under the directing and enabling power of the Holy Spirit. Learning this requires realizing the futility of self-effort. It means paying attention to what works and what does not bring results that please God. It means believing Jesus when He says:

I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing. (John 15:5)

Restraint is a huge lesson because ‘self-effort’ is the root of sin, the “turning to my own way” described in Isaiah 53:6. We are born with this ‘I will do it myself’ attitude and the Bible continually tells me to put it to death, to walk in the Spirit and not indulge in that old way of life. Much of self-effort is unconscious and it takes a lifetime to become aware of my tendency to take control rather than trust and obey God.

Humility is part of that lesson. My proud old nature thinks I am able. The gospel is an insult to pride. It says NO to all self-effort and while it tells me to “work out my own salvation” it also adds: “ . . . for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure”. (Philippians 2:13) I cannot save myself or keep myself saved.

And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ. (Philippians 1:6)

Hearing the gospel is good news, but it is also humbling. So are the many times that I fail because I deferred to my own efforts instead of trusting Christ and asking Him to fill me with His Spirit that I might think, talk, and act in ways that please Him rather than doing my own thing.

Sacrifice is learned in family life, in giving up what I want for what is best for my children. It is also related to the lesson of love because the love of God involves sacrifice.

Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God, and whoever loves has been born of God and knows God. Anyone who does not love does not know God, because God is love. In this the love of God was made manifest among us, that God sent his only Son into the world, so that we might live through him. In this is love, not that we have loved God but that he loved us and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins. Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. No one has ever seen God; if we love one another, God abides in us and his love is perfected in us. (1 John 4:7–12)

God’s love is expressed at the Cross, but even coming here to live among us was a sacrifice. He gave up glory to be a man, a servant who died for sinners. He says that anyone who loves does it because of knowing His love, and that involves giving up what I want — to care for and serve others. Who knows what my life would be like had I went my own way, used my skills for self-advancement, ignoring the love of God and refusing to express it by sacrifice.

Sacrifice goes beyond saying no to sin. It means saying no to perfectly good activities as well. This is a challenge when doing something for those who might not even say thank you. Being like Jesus involves the attitude, “Forgive them, for they know not what they do.” (Luke 23:34)

Jesus, You remind me of other lessons, such as believing You keep all Your promises and that You are sovereign, even when life’s events hurt or do not make sense. You love me and even my worst failures do not turn off Your great heart. You hate sin and wants godliness far more than You want me to be comfortable. You hear and answer my prayers in ways I never imagined. Telling You what to do is arrogant and lack of faith. So much more. Thank You for teaching me and being my example!

NOTE the encouragement in 2 Peter 2:3-10 and the way to firmly plant these lessons in my heart and life.

 

 

No comments: