May 11, 2023

Zigzag Self-focus

Ambitious people want to be at the top, the best in their field. We watch the NHL playoffs and note the glee of the team winners. Writers vie for the Booker or a Pulitzer, artists want the Nomura or National Medal, NFL players want to win the Super Bowl MVP and on it goes. I’ve had various ambitions too, yet learn that no matter how well I do, there is always someone who does it better.

The Bible says a few things about personal ambition, mainly that if it is of the flesh, such ambition is evil, but if it is a Holy Spirit gift, God will use it in mighty ways.

Who is wise and understanding among you? By his good conduct let him show his works in the meekness of wisdom. But if you have bitter jealousy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not boast and be false to the truth. This is not the wisdom that comes down from above, but is earthly, unspiritual, demonic. For where jealousy and selfish ambition exist, there will be disorder and every vile practice. (James 3:13–16)

This type of ambition is boastful, prone to dishonesty, causes strife and all sorts of problems, such as church splits in the spiritual realm and crimes of all kinds in society.

Paul writes to believers that we have the mind of Christ and for that reason, we are to “Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves.” (Philippians 2:3)

He was a wonderful example of the right kind of ambition. In Romans 15:19-20, he said, “By the power of signs and wonders, by the power of the Spirit of God . . . I have fulfilled the ministry of the gospel of Christ; and thus I make it my ambition to preach the gospel, not where Christ has already been named, lest I build on someone else’s foundation.” His desire was to tell others about Christ, and yet he would not barge in to another’s ministry. He was skilled and known, yet avoided ‘pulling rank’ and was willing to let others shine.

Some call this “playing second fiddle” which is an expression that comes from the prestige given in an orchestra to the lead violinist that lowers those next to that performer as somehow less, even if they are serving to make that first fiddle player as good as can be. It’s a plus to be a second fiddle who can encourage others to achieve their personal best rather than promote themselves.

Paul went the second mile on this. When he was put in prison in Philippi, others carried on. He wrote of them:

Some indeed preach Christ from envy and rivalry, but others from good will. The latter do it out of love, knowing that I am put here for the defense of the gospel. The former proclaim Christ out of selfish ambition, not sincerely but thinking to afflict me in my imprisonment. What then? Only that in every way, whether in pretense or in truth, Christ is proclaimed, and in that I rejoice. Yes, and I will rejoice. (Philippians 1:15–18)

I’m convicted of these verses. Sometimes I have an inner pleasure at figuring out a tough doctrine when others don’t get it, as if I were somehow better. This is nonsense. Paul wrote to the immature believers in Corinth who boasted:

I have applied all these things to myself and Apollos for your benefit, brothers, that you may learn by us not to go beyond what is written, that none of you may be puffed up in favor of one against another. For who sees anything different in you? What do you have that you did not receive? If then you received it, why do you boast as if you did not receive it? (1 Corinthians 4:6–7)

PRAY: Jesus, nothing I have is my own doing. All good things are gifts from You. Personal ambition did not achieve them and never can elevate me. As James says, such thinking is vile and causes disorder. Thus far, You have protected me from horrid results of my spiritual pride. Lest I dishonor You, cleanse all such thinking from me. I know the Holy Spirit desires that I want others to become more like You. Enable me to focus more on that than on my own successes, always aware that any selfish  ambition is a dangerous thing. I thank You for all the faithful servants in our church. May I encourage them rather than pat myself on the back.

And thank You for blessing me when my attitude swings the other way and I lose any desire to serve You or begin thinking that my life is worthless. Deliver me from self-centeredness that so easily sends me tipping in either direction; both pride and self-pity are foolish because my focus is on me instead of You.

READ: Philippians 3:2-14. What was Paul’s focus? What was not?

 

 

 

No comments: