May 13, 2023

Zealous?

 

Today’s topic is zeal. One Bible dictionary describes it as the display of fervent devotion or jealousy on behalf of valued possessions or people perceived to be under threat from rival claimants. Zeal can be godly with a desire to maintain the covenantal bond between the Lord and His people. The Scriptures say the Lord is “a jealous God” who fiercely protects His people and demands our exclusive loyalty. The OT prophets had this attitude as did some leaders. David said his zeal for God consumed him, yet King Saul’s zeal was more about doing his own thing.

Zeal can be ungodly, a claim to be for God but misdirected. In the NT, Saul of Tarsus (who became Paul) had a zeal against the followers of Jesus whom he regarded as blasphemous covenant-breakers. After his conversion, his zeal for Jesus Christ was equally intense, but for God’s glory and the Gospel.

Some Christians have zeal that motivates them over-eager to ‘help’ God or run ahead of Him instead of allowing Him to govern their words and actions. Others are complacent and more interested in this life only and in their personal pursuits rather than reaching others with the good news. God can use over-jealous people but we can sometimes block His plans with our eagerness to ‘make things happen’ or make things right. On the other hand, not enough zeal can also thwart God’s plans by being without the oomph needed to obey His commands. Paul describes misplaced zeal with these words:

Brothers, my heart’s desire and prayer to God for them (the Jews) is that they may be saved. For I bear them witness that they have a zeal for God, but not according to knowledge. For, being ignorant of the righteousness of God, and seeking to establish their own, they did not submit to God’s righteousness. For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes. (Romans 10:1–4)

Misplaced zeal can happen when a person is ignorant of the Gospel and ignorant of where true righteousness comes from. Believers might say, “I serve God with all my heart in order to please Him” because they want to be more acceptable, forgetting that our acceptance is in Christ, not in our efforts. That is, zeal can be rooted in a desire to prove our worth rather than radiating from the heart of God who loves us with great zeal.

We tend to rely on what we see to evaluate what others do, yet God looks on the heart. Does the person with a zeal to serve in the church do it because that zeal is from God, or do they want a reputation as a good servant? I cannot know the hearts of others (or even figure out myself at times) but the NT says this:

I appeal to you, brothers, to watch out for those who cause divisions and create obstacles contrary to the doctrine that you have been taught; avoid them. For such persons do not serve our Lord Christ, but their own appetites, and by smooth talk and flattery they deceive the hearts of the naive. For your obedience is known to all, so that I rejoice over you, but I want you to be wise as to what is good and innocent as to what is evil. The God of peace will soon crush Satan under your feet. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you. (Romans 16:17–20)

The zeal of God bears good fruit, brings unity and promotes the will of God. Misplaced or self-centered zeal results in divisions and deception and can be rooted in the lies of the enemy. Thank God that His zeal protects His people by grace and that He knows our hearts.

PRAY: Lord, You know my angst today about someone that is not being truthful about something. This person works to convince me, yet my zeal for truth overrides their efforts. I know that if someone believes lies or lies to themselves or to others, they are in danger. I could be misreading this and if so, I need to be corrected because I don’t want to partner with the enemy who is ‘an accuser’ of Your people. I’m undecided what to do in this situation. I need a godly attitude along with my desire for truth. You tell me to “speak the truth in love” yet I’m not certain I need to say anything. Please give me clarity and the right answers for this concern.

GOD’S ANSWER: I read more from the Word and the Lord stopped me at the NT verse that says: “Whatsoever is not of faith is sin.” If another Christian believes something is true even when it is not, my efforts to convince them otherwise will fall flat unless God’s Spirit opens their eyes. My zeal for truth could push others farther from trusting God. He asks me to pray and wait on Him for direction and for loving wisdom.

 

 

No comments: