May 25, 2023

Choose courage

 

This week I’m again reminded of the person who said to me, “As you get older, it must be easier to be a Christian.” Little did he know that as the challenges become more subtle, the reality of human weakness becomes more apparent. All that God requires of me so easily results in fear that I will not be able to do as He asks. While fear is not from God, it is strong enough to drop me on my nose and ruin my joy.

This week was like that. Too much on my plate, a long to-do list combined with an overwhelming sense of ‘I can’t’ made me want to sleep all day rather than tackle anything. Getting started on the most simple tasks became a huge act of the will. I realize much of this is a spiritual battle. I’m praying more, have had specific answers to very specific requests, and our spiritual enemy is striking back to stop prayer and faith in God.

God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control. (2 Timothy 1:7)

In this verse, fear is about being timid, not having courage. The opposite is Holy Spirit power, God’s self-sacrificing love, and the ability to be wise with sound thinking and discernment. It says what today’s devotional says: victorious Christian living requires great courage. Most definitions describe courage as the ability to act regardless of emotions, even when feeling great fear. We easily apply this to a soldier in combat, yet it also applies to a Christian in spiritual warfare.

Add to that the emotions of getting older, of forgetting names of friends, of dropping things, of hanging on to railings in the fear of falling, of fearing inabilities that haven’t happened yet but could be next week. Some of these can make me fearful, yet God wants me to remember:

I can do all things through him who strengthens me. (Philippians 4:13)

I am no more weak spiritually now than I was when Christ saved me. Being weaker physically, even mentally does not change the way grace works. Jesus still says to me . . .

"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore, I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong. (2 Corinthians 12:9–10)

As I think about it, the weakness of aging is a good thing for it drives me to deeper dependence. The challenging part is feeling the fear but doing it anyway — a common definition of courage. However, the Bible says God links courage to obedience and to the peace that God gives when He is trusted and obeyed!

Be strong and courageous, for you shall cause this people to inherit the land that I swore to their fathers to give them. Only be strong and very courageous, being careful to do according to all the law that Moses my servant commanded you. Do not turn from it to the right hand or to the left, that you may have good success wherever you go. This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success. Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.” (Joshua 1:6–9)

You will prosper if you are careful to observe the statutes and the rules that the Lord commanded Moses for Israel. Be strong and courageous. Fear not; do not be dismayed. (1 Chronicles 22:13)

Be strong, and let your heart take courage, all you who wait for the Lord! (Psalm 31:24)

PRAY: Lord Jesus, Paul said, “It is my eager expectation and hope that I will not be at all ashamed, but that with full courage now as always Christ will be honored in my body, whether by life or by death.” (Philippians 1:20) He knew he would go the way all of us go. As my hubby often says, we are all terminal. Fear of death is replaced by the anticipation of seeing You. Also, the fear of failure is replaced by the knowledge that You never fail. Trusting You is the issue, not relying on anything else when I’m being attacked as I grow older. There is nothing in Your Word that says I can ‘retire’ from obedience or excuse it because I don’t feel up to it. Forgive me for feeling as if I would like to quit when You are telling me to go ahead. Thank You for the courage You have given me in the past. Help me face spiritual battles and even mere daily responsibilities without retreat or compromise.

Read Daniel 3:1–30. Why were Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego punished by King Nebuchadnezzar? How did God honor their courage? Besides ease and comfort, what else tempts me to worship and obey it instead of Jesus Christ?

 

 

No comments: