May 6, 2023

Building spiritual stability . . .

 

Simon, who is called Peter was a fisherman by trade when Jesus called him to be a fisher of men. His first encounter with the Savior indicated that this man would be a “new creation” because of the transforming work of God as Jesus gave him a new name:

One of the two who heard John speak and followed Jesus was Andrew, Simon Peter’s brother. He first found his own brother Simon and said to him, “We have found the Messiah” (which means Christ). He brought him to Jesus. Jesus looked at him and said, “You are Simon the son of John. You shall be called Cephas” (which means Peter). (John 1:40–42)

This new name means “rock” which contrasts Simon’s nature. He was impulsive and vacillating, unlike the man he would become as a leader in the church. When he sinned, Jesus called him by his old name, and when Peter acted in strength, Jesus called him by this new name. And He often called him “Simon Peter” as he drifted between sinful Simon and spiritual Peter.

I identify with Peter, and other Christians do also. We get annoyed with ourselves for taking matters into our own hands, forgetting to pray, being fearful or being proud, displaying old traits instead of living in the joyful power of God. We also complain about our spiritual instability and regret our fleshiness, wondering if we will ever ‘grow up’ and be more like Jesus and less like that old person.

Jesus worked with Peter and transformed him into a true spiritual rock. When He asked, “But who do you say that I am?” Simon Peter replied,

“You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.” And Jesus answered him, “Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah! For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father who is in heaven. And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. (Matthew 16:15–18)

Jesus used this profession His identity to bless Peter and to affirm that this impulsive man’s declaration of it would be the foundation of His church. In other words, even those who complain about their instability are kept, not because they have earned it by being consistent but because faith in Christ, the Son of the living God, has secured their eternal future.

It is faith that transforms our lives. Hearing and believing the Gospel changes us from self-focused, self-centered sinful people to servants of the most High as we realize our efforts apart from Jesus are useless. Failure in self-effort is also used by God to teach us how much we need to rely on His Spirit.

God wants me to be a spiritual rock, just as He wanted that for Peter. Peter later wrote:

You also, as living stones, are being built up as a spiritual house for a holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ (1 Peter 2:5).

That occurs as I “grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ” (2 Peter 3:18) and as I realize the truth of: “I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me” (Galatians 2:20) and learn to:

Walk by the Spirit, and not gratify the desires of the flesh. For the desires of the flesh are against the Spirit, and the desires of the Spirit are against the flesh, for these are opposed to each other, to keep me from doing the things I want to do. But if I am are led by the Spirit, I am not under the law . . . . because those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. If I live by the Spirit, let me also keep in step with the Spirit. Let me not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another. (Galatians 5:16–26, personalized)

An important part of walking in the Spirit is confessing sin and asking the Lord to refill me: “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness . . . .” (1 John 1:5–10)

Jesus, don’t let me neglect confession, or resist putting sinful selfishness to death. This is for my good. You can forgive and remove that sin and enable me to put it out of my life. Better to obey in the first place, yet when that does not happen, may I be quick to get on my knees.

READ 1 and 2 Peter. Note all that God gives me to be a ‘rock’ from these words that were written by a  man who once was anything but!

 

 

No comments: