May 12, 2023

Living the Gospel

 

Yesterday’s devotional began with the author saying, “Leading others to Christ should be a top priority in your life.” He is talking about unbelievers, but lately my priority has been pointing believers to Christ. So many are forgetting His power. They are focused on personal comfort, or filled with fear of ‘what if’ and not relying on the God of the impossible. My need to focus on Christ is greater than I’ve ever experienced before. I also realize not everyone enjoys the luxury of unlimited time to worship or study the Bible every day.

As for evangelism, Andrew began with Peter, his own brother. While the Bible does not give a set pattern of where to begin reaching out, family and close friends are a good place to start.

The next day again John was standing with two of his disciples, and he looked at Jesus as he walked by and said, “Behold, the Lamb of God!” The two disciples heard him say this, and they followed Jesus. Jesus turned and saw them following and said to them, “What are you seeking?” And they said to him, “Rabbi” (which means Teacher), “where are you staying?” He said to them, “Come and you will see.” So they came and saw where he was staying, and they stayed with him that day, for it was about the tenth hour. One of the two who heard John speak and followed Jesus was Andrew, Simon Peter’s brother. He first found his own brother Simon and said to him, “We have found the Messiah” (which means Christ). He brought him to Jesus. Jesus looked at him and said, “You are Simon the son of John. You shall be called Cephas” (which means Peter). (John 1:35–42)

Andrew didn’t stop there. “Now among those who went up to worship at the feast were some Greeks. So these came to Philip, who was from Bethsaida in Galilee, and asked him, ‘Sir, we wish to see Jesus.’ Philip went and told Andrew; Andrew and Philip went and told Jesus.” (John 12:20–22)

Philip knew that Andrew had some experience, but if this is the same Philip mentioned may times in Acts, he also became known as an evangelist.

These early disciples didn’t always know how Jesus would deal with a particular person or situation, but they continued to bring others to Him. They had different gifts yet this was a common goal — desiring others to know the One who saves from sin all those who come to Him. They may hear and not respond, which should not surprise me given the negative reactions in the Gospels, yet positive results are numerous and it is that hope that should occupy my thinking. How do I know what is going on in the human heart? Not everyone is antichrist.

MacArthur asks when was the last time I shared Jesus with an unbeliever. As already noted, many Christians have serious issues with their faith. However, the last time I shared Jesus with a non-Christian was with a family member who belongs to a cult. Mostly, I pray for him, yet each conversation shows a change in attitude, a greater willingness to praise Jesus and speak of His power. I’d love to see him totally trust Jesus for every issue and problem in life, the same desire for Christian friends also. So many are caught up in worldly thinking and distracted from His power to save.

PRAY: Lord Jesus, my heart can be distracted too. Daily news can bring me to my knees, or it can turn me from trusting You to despair and even fear. Pain and weakness can produce greater reliance, or it can produce whining and self-pity. As I encounter anyone, believers or not, enable me to identify with their situations yet grant me the ability to point both of us to You, the best and even the only answer to all our needs. The Gospel truly is ‘good news’ and all of us need to hear it and share it from our hearts that believe and live it.

READ: Colossians 2:6-15. Consider how the Gospel should affect the way I live as well as changing my eternal destiny. How can I encourage others by this passage?

 

 

No comments: