May 23, 2023

Choosing Humility

 

At times I’ve wondered why God left us with this old nature that is so contrary to His Spirit and to the way He wants us to live. The obvious answer is that this is not heaven, not the place where God’s people will be perfect. But there is another reason; whenever I fall back into trying to live in my own strength or doing things my way instead of His, and it fails as it always does, I am deeply humbled. And God blesses humility.

The Bible describes humility and shows how God humbles His people and why. Their wanderings through the wilderness after being delivered from slavery was both humiliating for them and yet for their good:

And he humbled you and let you hunger and fed you with manna, which you did not know, nor did your fathers know, that he might make you know that man does not live by bread alone, but man lives by every word that comes from the mouth of the Lord. (Deuteronomy 8:3)

God fed them in the wilderness with manna to humble and test them, to bless them. (Deuteronomy 8:16) However, He expected them to humble themselves, to seek Him rather than sin. He said:

If my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land. (2 Chronicles 7:14)

Nebuchadnezzar figured it out. He said, “Praise and extol and honor the King of heaven, for all his works are right and his ways are just; and those who walk in pride he is able to humble.” Daniel understood it too and was rewarded as the angel of the Lord said to him, “Fear not, Daniel, for from the first day that you set your heart to understand and humbled yourself before your God, your words have been heard, and I have come because of your words.” (Daniel 4:37; 10:12)

Jesus gave an illustration: “Whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven” (Matthew 18:4) and a reason for humility: “Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.” (Matthew 23:12) He also set the ultimate example:

And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. (Philippians 2:8)

The NT is clear that, “God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.” (James 4:6) Humble people know they cannot run their own lives, but instead run to Jesus for everything. He is my wisdom, righteousness, sanctification, justification, my fortress, strength, and hiding place. Without Him I am nothing and can do nothing. The problem is: even though I know it, I forget it, or take it for granted, or assume my latest idea or plan will work, or simply try taking back control for some silly reason only to fall flat on my face.

For the desires of the flesh are against the Spirit, and the desires of the Spirit are against the flesh, for these are opposed to each other, to keep you from doing the things you want to do. But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law. Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these (including doing my own thing). I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. If we live by the Spirit, let us also keep in step with the Spirit. Let us not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another. (Galatians 5:17–26)

PRAY: I thank You for the wonder of forgiveness and the price paid for my salvation. I praise You for new life and the ability to humble myself and choose obedience. It would be wonderful if that came easily under the pressures and desires of my old nature, and sometimes it does, yet too often am humbled by failure and the wrong choice rather than letting You lead me, so again, thank You for the wonder of forgiveness.

I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. (Galatians 2:20)

READ: 1 John 1:5-2:6. What does this say about how to humble myself?

 

 

 

 

No comments: