September 21, 2022

The wonder of Providence . . .

 

READ Psalm 71–75

Last night my mind wandered through each decade thanking God for His love and care. When I was finished, thoughts of all my failures burst in like invaders and joy suddenly turned to tears and shame. Adding to this odd experience, I fell asleep and dreamed I was being strongly tempted to sin. I woke up feeling weak and helpless and went to my desk to have devotions.

I turned on my two computer monitors. They each run a slideshow of Bible verses. The first came on with: “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” (2 Corinthians 12:9) The second screen came on, a different background but the same verse. The first one changed to a new image: a third background but the same verse!

Coincidence? I have 200 pictures in that file, mostly all different verses and set to change every ten minutes. I hear You God!

In you, O Lord, do I take refuge; let me never be put to shame! In your righteousness deliver me and rescue me; incline your ear to me, and save me! Be to me a rock of refuge, to which I may continually come; you have given the command to save me, for you are my rock and my fortress . . . . Do not cast me off in the time of old age; forsake me not when my strength is spent . . . . O God, from my youth you have taught me, and I still proclaim your wondrous deeds. So even to old age and gray hairs, O God, do not forsake me, until I proclaim your might to another generation, your power to all those to come. Your righteousness, O God, reaches the high heavens. You who have done great things, O God, who is like you? You who have made me see many troubles and calamities will revive me again; from the depths of the earth you will bring me up again. (Psalm 71:1–20)

How does prayer get answered even before it is prayed? How does God know how to line up my PC slide show with today’s chapters from the Psalms? How did He know I would have thoughts and a dream that left me in tears? I know He “delivers the needy when he calls, the poor and him who has no helper. He has pity on the weak and the needy, and saves the lives of the needy. From oppression and violence he redeems their life, and precious is their blood in his sight.” (72:12–14) and for that reason I can say with the psalmist, “May his name endure forever, his fame continue as long as the sun! May people be blessed in him, all nations call him blessed! . . . . Blessed be his glorious name forever; may the whole earth be filled with his glory! Amen and Amen!” (72:17–19)

I experience other times of despair besides this awful sense of weakness and worthlessness. Sometimes I’m overwhelmed at the evil in the world, the times when “the wrong seems oft so strong” yet God constantly  reminds me that He “sets them in slippery places, makes them fall to ruin.” Even when I feel or act “brutish and ignorant” even like a beast toward God, He “holds my right hand, guides me with His counsel, and afterward will receive me to glory.” Just today, He reminds me again, “My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.” (73:16–26)

This reading puts comfort into my troubled heart. It affirms that “God my King is from of old, working salvation in the midst of the earth” and that even though the enemy scoffs, and foolish people revile His name, He will “Arise . . . and defend His cause; remember how the foolish scoff at Him all the day!” He will “not forget the clamor of His foes, the uproar of those who rise against Him.” (74:12–23) He will eventually judge the earth, yet “when it totters, He will keep steady its pillars” and as He “cuts off the wicked, He will lift up those who trust Him.”

Lord, I shake my head in wonder at the timing of those screen shots and at the words from Your Word that set me upright when those thoughts and dreams pounded me with a sense of helplessness. I’m nothing, yet You care for me. I’m absolutely certain that every living soul experiences the same scrutiny, the same grace. We are often blind or oblivious to it, but You are faithful and gracious, taking care of Your people even in our utter weakness and just when we need You, You make Your presence known. Thank You.

 

No comments: