September 10, 2022

Grateful for Grace

 

READ Psalm 16–20

One thing that takes time to learn is this: when troubles comes, big or small, the best solution is to bring them to the Lord. Those new to faith in Christ know this, yet that old habit of trying to figure things out for ourselves is persistent. Eventually we say, “The only thing left to do is pray” then finally realize that is the first thing to do, not our last resort.

The psalmist, in this case King David, figured that out. He knew his way was useless:

Preserve me, O God, for in you I take refuge. I say to the Lord, “You are my Lord; I have no good apart from you.” (Psalm 16:1)

This is a difficult lesson for all. Pride, education, worldly success, praise from others, and a host of other things add up to support that “I can figure it out myself” attitude,  never mind the root of it. Sin is defined in the Bible as going our own way (see Isaiah 53:6). It might not be evil, like murder and other dark and forbidden sins. It may even seem good, but the lack of faith in God and trusting me, myself, and I makes it sin.

David could see himself as a sinner, but he’d learned another lesson — that those who trust in God’s salvation have traded their sin for the Savior’s righteousness. He said, “As for the saints in the land, they are the excellent ones, in whom is all my delight.” His words convict me. I’m not always delighted by God’s people. Sometimes some of them seem less than excellent. Yet I realize where those negative thoughts can come from:

And I heard a loud voice in heaven, saying, “Now the salvation and the power and the kingdom of our God and the authority of his Christ have come, for the accuser of our brothers has been thrown down, who accuses them day and night before our God.” (Revelation 12:10)

Satan is behind accusations against the people of God. This is different from the prophets who were told by God to remind His people of their sin. It is different from seeing sin in another believer and going to that person in great humility and the power of the Holy Spirit to restore them (as in Galatians 6:1–3). Satan is both a liar and destroyer. His accusations are not true nor are they intended to restore by producing conviction and repentance. He wants God’s people to stop trusting God, start trusting ourselves, ruin our witness to God’s goodness and destroy any effectiveness our faith might have on others.

Jesus said that the world would know that He came and that we belong to Him by our love for one another. Accusing one another does not do that. Love restores and builds up, cares for and honors others who belong to Christ.

My attitude toward those who reject Christ also needs to be loving, wanting them to join His kingdom by faith, and not allowing myself to be involved in what they do. David said, “The sorrows of those who run after another god shall multiply; their drink offerings of blood I will not pour out or take their names on my lips. The Lord is my chosen portion and my cup; you hold my lot.” He knew their fate and the danger of supporting worldly ways. Instead, he chose the ways of the Lord and because of that, he could say:

The lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; indeed, I have a beautiful inheritance. I bless the Lord who gives me counsel; in the night also my heart instructs me. I have set the Lord always before me; because he is at my right hand, I shall not be shaken. Therefore my heart is glad, and my whole being rejoices; my flesh also dwells secure. For you will not abandon my soul to Sheol, or let your holy one see corruption. You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.

This reading (Psalm 16:1–11) solves a puzzle. I’ve noted that those gifted in compassion often misunderstand those gifted in discernment or have a prophetic ministry, and vice versa. Compassion wants people to feel good; prophets want people to hate sin. Confrontation of sin does not make the target feel good, at least not at first, but the intention is to bring joy back into their lives. Compassionate people may seem too easy on others, even giving them excuses for their sinful choices, yet Jesus showed compassion and cared for the multitudes who were, “like sheep without a shepherd.” Only the Holy Spirit can tell us what needs to be done for those caught in sin.

In the meantime, enjoying God is always wise. He leads His people in the path of life and gives joy and pleasure. He is not the author of friction, doubt, lack of trust, or disharmony. His promise is eternal life and in this life, He gives counsel, instruction and security. For His great grace, I am eternally grateful.

 

No comments: