September 20, 2022

Seeking the mind of God . . .

 

READ Psalm 66–70

One thing about reading the psalms: I realize the power of praise — and the importance of listening to my mother! When my focus is on the Lord and the wonder of His person and His actions, the evil and foolishness in this world have much less effect on me, except to bring them to Him in prayer. Praise makes Him the answer for everything. Self-effort is folly, puny, compared to what God can do, even though obedience is vital. Praise helps me see that we who trust Him are His hands and heart, even when plagued by discomfort in our situation.

For instance, how can those who oppose God and reject the Gospel, those who deny sin and their need for salvation, be brought to their knees before the One who calls out to them? I can’t make that happen, or can I?

Shout for joy to God, all the earth; sing the glory of his name; give to him glorious praise! Say to God, “How awesome are your deeds! So great is your power that your enemies come cringing to you. All the earth worships you and sings praises to you; they sing praises to your name.” Selah (Psalm 66:1–4)

Praise and our shouts for joy at God’s power brings His enemies cringing to Him! So what does complaining and lack of trust do!

Yet it isn’t God’s power in their lives that produces this response, but His power in our lives. So often trouble comes and God’s people do everything we can think of to turn away that which makes us suffer or uncomfortable. This is not God’s way. My mother often said, “We must need it or we wouldn’t be getting it” — teaching me to look for the reasons our sovereign God allows negative or uncomfortable things. In doing that, God has taught me so much about Himself. The psalmist knew too . . .

For you, O God, have tested us; you have tried us as silver is tried. You brought us into the net; you laid a crushing burden on our backs; you let men ride over our heads; we went through fire and through water; yet you have brought us out to a place of abundance . . . . Come and hear, all you who fear God, and I will tell what he has done for my soul. I cried to him with my mouth, and high praise was on my tongue. If I had cherished iniquity in my heart, the Lord would not have listened. But truly God has listened; he has attended to the voice of my prayer. Blessed be God, because he has not rejected my prayer or removed his steadfast love from me! (66:10–12; 16–20)

Some things are a test; will I trust God even though He has allowed sickness, accidents, reversals of fortune, or any other undesirables in my life? Some things are Satan’s ploys to stop me from trusting God, from prayer, from praising Him. Will I continue to obey God even in trials? Some things are designed by the enemy to stop me from confessing sin, even to loving sin or even to not realize how sinful are my self-efforts and doing my own thing. If I cherish that, then my prayers are futile. But God blesses that attitude of “what are You trying to tell me with this unwanted mess that is happening to me?” He shows me what is happening in that unseen realm that has affected the realm I can see.

The psalm writers could say, “May God be gracious to us and bless us and make his face to shine upon us, Selah that your way may be known on earth, your saving power among all nations . . . . God shall bless us; let all the ends of the earth fear him!” (67:1–2; 7) They knew that His saving power was the conclusion of whatever He allowed, and that His actions to rescue us are powerful to bring the world to its knees. Our part is to openly confess both our distress at the time it happens and the salvation that comes because of His loving faithfulness. “Blessed be the Lord, who daily bears us up; God is our salvation.” Selah (68:19)

Not everyone will be delighted. Some think my mother’s words are odd, even foolish. They look at me as if I have lost my mind. I’m okay with that. Jesus experienced much worse than I do, yet He said: “For zeal for your house has consumed me, and the reproaches of those who reproach you have fallen on me.” (69:9) His great love bears whatever rejections I might experience.

Lord, my prayers today include, “May all who seek you rejoice and be glad in you! May those who love your salvation say evermore, “God is great!” (70:4) It is in praising You that I can accept Your wisdom and eventually know why some things happen and how You can used all things, even negative, uncomfortable things, for good instead of thinking the only answer is that You will make them go away.

 

No comments: