September 13, 2022

For Himself and yet for us . . .

READ Psalm 31–35

John Piper authored a book about  the pleasures of God explaining that God can take delight in Himself and what He does because He is the only One worthy of delight.

It takes a while to wrap my head around that. It seems a contradiction that God is not selfish yet acts for His own name’s sake. David seemed to understand. He wrote:

For you are my rock and my fortress; and for your name’s sake you lead me and guide me; you take me out of the net they have hidden for me, for you are my refuge. Into your hand I commit my spirit; you have redeemed me, O Lord, faithful God . . . . Oh, how abundant is your goodness, which you have stored up for those who fear you and worked for those who take refuge in you, in the sight of the children of mankind! (Psalm 31:3–5; 19)

God does not tell me to look at Him because He is altruism at its finest; He tells me to look at Him in reverence because in the looking I am totally blessed and blessing those who worship Him gives Him pleasure. He loves to love us and to have that love bouncing back to Himself. He is the only One worthy of our utter devotion.

The psalmist also writes of God’s forgiveness and protection — the only One who freely and gladly takes care of all our needs:

Blessed is the one whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered. Blessed is the man against whom the Lord counts no iniquity, and in whose spirit there is no deceit . . . .You are a hiding place for me; you preserve me from trouble; you surround me with shouts of deliverance. Selah (32:1–2; 7)

This care is shown to those who grab hold of it, not to those who reject it. That is, perfect goodness is never freely given to those whose sin says NO to it. That is not goodness because seeing it but rejecting it has no benefit to the recipient. That is, “Many are the sorrows of the wicked, but steadfast love surrounds the one who trusts in the Lord. Be glad in the Lord, and rejoice, O righteous, and shout for joy, all you upright in heart!” (32:10–11)

Responding to God blesses God, but it also blesses me. “Shout for joy in the Lord, O you righteous! Praise befits the upright . . . . For the word of the Lord is upright, and all his work is done in faithfulness. He loves righteousness and justice; the earth is full of the steadfast love of the Lord.” (33:1; 4–5)

For this, I stand in awe of Him. He spoke the world into existence, brings the plans of the nations to nothing, frustrates evil and blesses all who bless Him. (33:8–12) These words are my words too:

I will bless the Lord at all times; his praise shall continually be in my mouth. My soul makes its boast in the Lord; let the humble hear and be glad. Oh, magnify the Lord with me, and let us exalt his name together! I sought the Lord, and he answered me and delivered me from all my fears. Those who look to him are radiant, and their faces shall never be ashamed. This poor man cried, and the Lord heard him and saved him out of all his troubles . . . . Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good! Blessed is the man who takes refuge in him! Oh, fear the Lord, you his saints, for those who fear him have no lack! The young lions suffer want and hunger; but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing. (Psalm 34:1–6; 8–10)

The Lord “redeems the life of his servants; none of those who take refuge in him will be condemned” because this is who He is. For this I can say if anyone delights in what God has done for His people, we can shout for joy and be glad and “tell of your righteousness and of your praise all the day long” to a world who so desperately needs to hear it. (35:27–28)

I woke again feeling heavy and sad, but the Lord changes that — because He is a God of joy, He wants to share that joy with His people so others will see it and realize how wonderful He is! He does all this for His own name’s sake, yet how delightful that He shares His joy with us!

 

No comments: