September 27, 2022

He is not finished with me yet . . .

 

READ Psalm 101–105

Some claims made by psalmists also declare what God is doing or will do in the lives of His people. That is, I can say that “The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not want” because this is true yet the deeper my walk and the closer I follow, the less I want anything else.

With that thought, the first four verses of this reading are filled with words that are true at the time or will be true in the future. The psalmist is not making promises of what he will do but saying what God will accomplish.

I will sing of steadfast love and justice; to you, O Lord, I will make music. I will ponder the way that is blameless. Oh when will you come to me? I will walk with integrity of heart within my house; I will not set before my eyes anything that is worthless. I hate the work of those who fall away; it shall not cling to me. A perverse heart shall be far from me; I will know nothing of evil. (Psalm 101:1–4)

1I will sing of steadfast love and justice; to you, O Lord, I will make music.” As a new Christian, if anyone told me I would sing and make music to the Lord, I would have laughed. I took piano lessons as a child and my teacher gave up. I did too; and would rather be riding my horse. I could not sing either. But now, every morning I sing to the Lord and would not be embarrassed if someone were listening.

I will sing to the Lord as long as I live; I will sing praise to my God while I have being. May my meditation be pleasing to him, for I rejoice in the Lord. (104:33–34)

Oh give thanks to the Lord; call upon his name; make known his deeds among the peoples! Sing to him, sing praises to him; tell of all his wondrous works! Glory in his holy name; let the hearts of those who seek the Lord rejoice! . . . . So he brought his people out with joy, his chosen ones with singing. (Psalm 105:1–3; 43) It is to God’s glory that He uses us to make music!

2I will ponder the way that is blameless. Oh when will you come to me? I will walk with integrity of heart within my house.” God put a hunger for righteousness in my heart, but at times it seems as if I will never conquer sin.

I’ve said, “Hear my prayer, O Lord; let my cry come to you! Do not hide your face from me in the day of my distress! Incline your ear to me; answer me speedily in the day when I call!” (102:1–2) I know the Lord hears me and watch Him at work in my life and the lives of my family and rejoice. Just as the psalmist prayed, “The children of your servants shall dwell secure; their offspring shall be established before you.” (102:28)

For this, and for all the goodness He shows to me, He has me doing this:

Seek the Lord and his strength; seek his presence continually! Remember the wondrous works that he has done, his miracles, and the judgments he uttered. (105:4–5)

3I will not set before my eyes anything that is worthless. I hate the work of those who fall away; it shall not cling to me.” Not there yet . . . I still watch too much television, but am pickier than I used to be. Some things I used to do, I now avoid — and stay away from people who might influence me. God says this would happen:

Whoever slanders his neighbor secretly I will destroy. Whoever has a haughty look and an arrogant heart I will not endure . . . . No one who practices deceit shall dwell in my house; no one who utters lies shall continue before my eyes . . . (101:5; 7–8)

4A perverse heart shall be far from me; I will know nothing of evil.” This is not about moving ‘seventy-five miles from the nearest sin’ but about a godly focus and desire to be like Jesus. He ate and drank with sinners, but He never stopped saying and doing the will of God.

I’m not there yet, but being transformed into His image is my destiny. Romans 8:28–29 says so, as does 1 John 3:2–3: “Beloved, we are God’s children now, and what we will be has not yet appeared; but we know that when he appears we shall be like him, because we shall see him as he is. And everyone who thus hopes in him purifies himself as he is pure.”

God works to make purity happen. The psalmist says, “And the Lord made his people very fruitful and made them stronger than their foes.” (105:24) I long to ‘be there’ but know I am not. However, on those days when I feel messy and useless, the Word of God gives me a boost and the Holy Spirit whispers, “I’m not finished with you yet!” deepening my hope for that day when I will see Him as He is and be like Him!

 

No comments: