September 7, 2022

Oh Happy Day . . .

READ Psalm 1–5

While reading the prophets is enlightening and fosters my sense of God’s holiness, I must admit that I’m glad to move into the song book of Israel — filled with praises for the wonder of who God is and His goodness to His people. There are warnings and struggles in this poetry, yet even reading them brings joy to my heart.

Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the wicked, nor stands in the way of sinners, nor sits in the seat of scoffers; but his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night. (Psalm 1:1–2)

This speaks of a slippery slope. Take counsel from a person who does not believe in God and that attitude is too easily adopted to a new stance, and can slide into mocking those who trust Him or worse — to deriding God. Those blessed spend enough time in the Word of God to realize His thoughts are a delight, worthy of thinking about all day long, and guiding everything I do.

What about those who mock God, who make a strong argument for not believing in Him or trusting Him? What about the kings and rulers in this world who consider power and money over humility and faith in Jesus Christ? They could distress me, but this is what God says:

He who sits in the heavens laughs; the Lord holds them in derision. Then he will speak to them in his wrath, and terrify them in his fury, saying, “As for me, I have set my King on Zion, my holy hill.” I will tell of the decree: The Lord said to me, “You are my Son; today I have begotten you. Ask of me, and I will make the nations your heritage, and the ends of the earth your possession. You shall break them with a rod of iron and dash them in pieces like a potter’s vessel.” Now therefore, O kings, be wise; be warned, O rulers of the earth. Serve the Lord with fear, and rejoice with trembling. Kiss the Son, lest he be angry, and you perish in the way, for his wrath is quickly kindled. Blessed are all who take refuge in him. (2:4–12)

Such mockers in their unbelief have no idea of God’s power. They think they rule their world, that we mere mortals control such powers as the climate, that money thrown at it will solve the problems of crime and hate, that by sheer determination we can make the world a better place. And the Lord laughs. He addresses my worries with a holy ‘lighten up’ so I can rejoice in His power and wisdom and not be afraid as others try in vain to do what only God can do.

But you, O Lord, are a shield about me, my glory, and the lifter of my head. I cried aloud to the Lord, and he answered me from his holy hill. Selah I lay down and slept; I woke again, for the Lord sustained me. I will not be afraid of many thousands of people who have set themselves against me all around. (3:3–6)

Amen to that! I just woke up from a sound sleep with joy in my heart, the usual for me in a world that says people my age don’t sleep very well. They need to interview those who trust God, pray their fears to Him and realize His grace and power. The psalm writers knew. So do those who have been touched by the grace of God and who can say: “But know that the Lord has set apart the godly for himself; the Lord hears when I call to him . . . . You have put more joy in my heart than they have when their grain and wine abound. In peace I will both lie down and sleep; for you alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety.” (4:3; 7–8)

It may take a lifetime to learn some of these things, yet all through my Christian life, God has been faithful. He will, “Give attention to the sound of my cry, my King and my God, for to you do I pray. O Lord, in the morning you hear my voice; in the morning I prepare a sacrifice for you and watch” (5:2–3). He hears me. He respects the sacrifices made to show love to others. He is with me, and when I pay attention, I see His gracious hand in all of life.

But let all who take refuge in you rejoice; let them ever sing for joy, and spread your protection over them, that those who love your name may exult in you. For you bless the righteous, O Lord; you cover him with favor as with a shield. (5:11–12)

Oh Lord, Your Word encourages me and gives me energy as well as guidance and peace for each day. I stumble, make mistakes, become self-centered yet Your Son covers me with His sacrifice and Himself. I am shielded from the world’s lures, Satan’s lies, and the subtleties of my own sinful desires. And because of You, I can shout and sing songs of joy!

 

No comments: