September 12, 2022

Passing the tests?

 

READ Psalm 26–30

The children are back in school, some glad for it, others reluctantly. I went back to school twice as an adult. Once to take a bachelor’s degree and once for a master’s degree. I loved the study but not the exams. Would my age and memory work against me? Besides that, I had a history of being ridiculed in high school if I missed a question on a quiz. Kids can be cruel; if they cannot poke at ignorance, they will make fun of good grades.

The psalmist says, “Prove me, O Lord, and try me; test my heart and my mind. For your steadfast love is before my eyes, and I walk in your faithfulness.” (Psalm 26:2–3) I don’t like those tests much either. Failure is usually about being oblivious that the test is happening until it is over and I realized I’ve flunked. The up side is that God does not make fun of failure just as He does not exalt me when I pass the test. He is the reason for getting at right — and He gets the credit!

Sometimes those tests involve others who ridicule what I believe. God tells me to “love your enemies” and “do good to those who hate you” and my inclination is to retaliate, or at least hold a grudge. David says:

The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? When evildoers assail me to eat up my flesh, my adversaries and foes, it is they who stumble and fall. Though an army encamp against me, my heart shall not fear; though war arise against me, yet I will be confident. (27:1–3)

The psalmist knew that God would and does protect His people. That means no fear of what people can do to me, whether verbal ridicule or any other intention to harm. He will take care of me and take care of them! “For he will hide me in his shelter in the day of trouble; he will conceal me under the cover of his tent; he will lift me high upon a rock.” (27:5) No matter who forsakes me (even if it were my father and mother, v.10) He will take care of me.

Sometimes tests seem like God has abandoned me, or worse yet, that He is angry with me. As David did, I need to remember the truth; God is merciful and His love is plainly stated in the Person and work of His Son on my behalf:

Sing praises to the Lord, O you his saints, and give thanks to his holy name. For his anger is but for a moment, and his favor is for a lifetime. Weeping may tarry for the night, but joy comes with the morning. As for me, I said in my prosperity, “I shall never be moved.” By your favor, O Lord, you made my mountain stand strong; you hid your face; I was dismayed. To you, O Lord, I cry, and to the Lord I plead for mercy: “What profit is there in my death, if I go down to the pit? Will the dust praise you? Will it tell of your faithfulness? Hear, O Lord, and be merciful to me! O Lord, be my helper!” You have turned for me my mourning into dancing; you have loosed my sackcloth and clothed me with gladness, that my glory may sing your praise and not be silent. O Lord my God, I will give thanks to you forever! (30:4–12)

During an extreme test of faith, I usually do not feel like praising God or being thankful. A friend once said that sometimes we need to act right before we feel right. At the time, that idea seemed too close to hypocrisy but now I understand. When I’m down and feel God has gone, even though my theology says otherwise, I must praise Him and be thankful anyway. By doing that, my emotions begin to change.

When tested and at all times, God tells me my part:

You have said, “Seek my face.” My heart says to you, “Your face, Lord, do I seek.” (27:8)

To you, O Lord, I call; my rock, be not deaf to me, lest, if you be silent to me, I become like those who go down to the pit. Hear the voice of my pleas for mercy, when I cry to you for help, when I lift up my hands toward your most holy sanctuary. (28:1–2)

In you, O Lord, do I take refuge; let me never be put to shame; in your righteousness deliver me! Incline your ear to me; rescue me speedily! Be a rock of refuge for me, a strong fortress to save me! For you are my rock and my fortress; and for your name’s sake you lead me and guide me; you take me out of the net they have hidden for me, for you are my refuge. Into your hand I commit my spirit; you have redeemed me, O Lord, faithful God. (31:1–5)

The truth and my anchor at all times is not so much that I am right with God but that He is at peace with me!

 

No comments: