September 9, 2022

The difference Jesus makes . . .

 

READ Psalm 11–15

My parents were a rare couple — we never saw them fight, well, once mom tossed something at dad in mock anger. Growing up in a home like that made life in this world a huge shock. People fight, not just couples, and realizing it was difficult for a naïve little girl.

I now relate to David who wrote: “In the Lord I take refuge; how can you say to my soul, ‘Flee like a bird to your mountain, for behold, the wicked bend the bow; they have fitted their arrow to the string to shoot in the dark at the upright in heart; if the foundations are destroyed, what can the righteous do?’ ” (Psalm 11:1–3)

He saw evil flourish, even attempting to destroy goodness and righteousness. I see it too and am dismayed. This was not always true, but when Jesus Christ came into my life, He gave me a clearer vision of goodness than even my parents: “For the Lord is righteous; he loves righteous deeds; the upright shall behold his face.” (11:7)

The downside of seeing His righteousness is a clearer vision of evil. In the past few years, my understanding of sinfulness deepens. My own sin first of all is clearer and more dreadful, driving me to lean more fully on the saving reality of the gospel. However, I also see the sin of the world with greater clarity too, just as David wrote:

Save, O Lord, for the godly one is gone; for the faithful have vanished from among the children of man. Everyone utters lies to his neighbor; with flattering lips and a double heart they speak. (12:1–2)

The contrast is there, as is the need for God’s protection. The psalms express this need as their writers were also attacked by those dedicated to sin, to selfish demands, to having their way instead of following the way of the Lord . . .

You, O Lord, will keep them; you will guard us from this generation forever. On every side the wicked prowl, as vileness is exalted among the children of man. (12:7–8)

I relate to David’s words when he wrote his pleas for help, his sense of being overwhelmed by sin all around, but also the way this man rejoiced in God . . .

How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever? How long will you hide your face from me? How long must I take counsel in my soul and have sorrow in my heart all the day? How long shall my enemy be exalted over me? Consider and answer me, O Lord my God; light up my eyes, lest I sleep the sleep of death, lest my enemy say, “I have prevailed over him,” lest my foes rejoice because I am shaken. But I have trusted in your steadfast love; my heart shall rejoice in your salvation. I will sing to the Lord, because he has dealt bountifully with me. (13:1–6)

You, oh Lord have dealt bountifully with me, protected me to the point that I often call myself “God’s spoiled brat.” I’m so glad You deliver me from the foolish choices I make . . .

The fool says in his heart, “There is no God.” They are corrupt, they do abominable deeds; there is none who does good. The Lord looks down from heaven on the children of man, to see if there are any who understand, who seek after God. They have all turned aside; together they have become corrupt; there is none who does good, not even one. Have they no knowledge, all the evildoers who eat up my people as they eat bread and do not call upon the Lord? (14:1–4)

While it is impossible to rise to righteousness apart from Your grace, I’m so thankful for the example of my parents who showed me what grace can do. They were not perfect but they come to mind while I read this:

O Lord, who shall sojourn in your tent? Who shall dwell on your holy hill? He who walks blamelessly and does what is right and speaks truth in his heart; who does not slander with his tongue and does no evil to his neighbor, nor takes up a reproach against his friend; in whose eyes a vile person is despised, but who honors those who fear the Lord; who swears to his own hurt and does not change; who does not put out his money at interest and does not take a bribe against the innocent. He who does these things shall never be moved. (15:1–5)

Thank You again that Jesus gives me the righteousness You desire. In Him I can dwell with You and live in joy and peace. For all that You are, I praise Your holy name!

 

No comments: