September 18, 2022

No matter the size or strength of my enemy . . .

 

READ Psalm 56–60

What is the test when a person has not had the flu or even a common cold for decades and then, for no apparent cause, gets a head cold? For me, the test is about pity parties. Everyone knows what a cold feels like: stuffed head, itchy nose, coughing, generally weak and wanting to sleep rather than do anything else. It takes firm determination to think about other people, their needs, prayer requests, world events, and so on, rather than “poor me, I have a cold and I feel miserable.”

Today’s reading is filled with descriptions of how the psalm writers are in danger from others. Their enemies are not only threats that put fear in their hearts, but attacks that have injured them and caused physical pain. Reading these chapters made me feel foolish for thinking a mere cold is the worst thing that could happen. How can I complain about the sniffles when I could be the target of severe harm?

Oddly enough though, the verses in between the pleas for God to deal with these enemies are words of comfort for even me, to help me avoid a selfish pity-party and instead glorify God and be thankful for His grace and goodness. This next verse says that no matter the threat, small or huge, I can take shelter in the Lord:

Be merciful to me, O God, be merciful to me, for in you my soul takes refuge; in the shadow of your wings, I will take refuge, till the storms of destruction pass by. (Psalm 57:1)

These verses also help me focus on His glory, putting aside thoughts of my little problems:

My heart is steadfast, O God, my heart is steadfast! I will sing and make melody! Awake, my glory! Awake, O harp and lyre! I will awake the dawn! I will give thanks to you, O Lord, among the peoples; I will sing praises to you among the nations. For your steadfast love is great to the heavens, your faithfulness to the clouds. Be exalted, O God, above the heavens! Let your glory be over all the earth! (57:7–11)

The psalmist is certain that God can deal with his enemies and allow him to be victorious over them. Since God can do that, He is more than able to help me through a few days of much milder discomfort.

You, Lord God of hosts, are God of Israel. Rouse yourself to punish all the nations; spare none of those who treacherously plot evil. Selah Each evening they come back, howling like dogs and prowling about the city. There they are, bellowing with their mouths with swords in their lips— for “Who,” they think, “will hear us?” But you, O Lord, laugh at them; you hold all the nations in derision. O my Strength, I will watch for you, for you, O God, are my fortress. My God in his steadfast love will meet me; God will let me look in triumph on my enemies. (59:5–10)

Oh, grant us help against the foe, for vain is the salvation of man! With God we shall do valiantly; it is he who will tread down our foes. (60:11–12)

My foe right now does not walk on two feet or carry a sword or even a big stick. Actually, it is not a bunch or germs either. The NT makes it clear who the destroyer is and my part in this fight. It is not merely to avoid becoming self-centered, but to continue in my main mission of standing firm in prayer:

Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places. Therefore, take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm. (Ephesians 6:11–13)

This means I can stick to what God wants me to do regardless of the attack of a few bugs that make me sneeze, itch, cough, ache and blow my nose every few minutes. This is not the enemy even though it might be the tool of this enemy. Even so, I know that far worse dangers and powers are defeated by the Lord. I can stand firm and loudly proclaim: “O my Strength, I will sing praises to you, for you, O God, are my fortress, the God who shows me steadfast love.” (59:17) Amen!

 

No comments: