September 29, 2022

The Creator had a plan . . .

 

READ Psalm 113–118

Attention-deficit people are easily distracted, yet whatever distracted them can hold their attention like an obsession. This is hard to live with. This morning, I opened my computer and a search engine with a plan to start devotions. However, I was distracted by a wearable art photo. That led to watching a few videos that make tame the costumes on “The Masked Singer.” Then a clipping on my desk for a local quilting group caught my attention. Searching for it took me to their website with its creative display, then to another one of a person who creates quilts for those who order them . . . with a price list, a rare find, and they were also beautiful. All this delay took me off an already slow start to the day. Finally, the devotional reading . . .

Blessed be the name of the Lord from this time forth and forevermore! From the rising of the sun to its setting, the name of the Lord is to be praised! . . . . Who is like the Lord our God, who is seated on high, who looks far down on the heavens and the earth? (Psalm 113:2–3; 5–6)

Actually, my detour into the wonders of wearable art showed me something. We are made in the image of our Creator, meaning we are creative. God’s creation is utterly amazing. While non-believing people try to figure out how this world happened, I see the glory of God in all of it, just as He intended.

For what can be known about God is plain . . .  because God has shown it . . . his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made . . . . Yet although they knew God, they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking, and their foolish hearts were darkened. Claiming to be wise, they became fools, and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images resembling mortal man and birds and animals and creeping things. (Romans 1:18–23)

This negative reality is obvious in the wearable art creations. Although we are made in God’s image, when humans create anything apart from knowing Him, those creations are not like His. God’s work is not only beautiful but functional. Even the tiniest creature fits in the plan of God. None of those ‘costumes’ were functional, and many were grotesque rather than lovely. I’m aware that God can use human creativity to reflect His glory, but without Him, our work falls short.

The psalmist rightly says, “Not to us, O Lord, not to us, but to your name give glory, for the sake of your steadfast love and your faithfulness!” (Psalm 115:1) In the world of art and creativity, the things made often are given more reverence than is due them, not necessarily religiously intended, yet idols, nonetheless. But . . .

Their idols are silver and gold, the work of human hands. They have mouths, but do not speak; eyes, but do not see. They have ears, but do not hear; noses, but do not smell. They have hands, but do not feel; feet, but do not walk; and they do not make a sound in their throat. Those who make them become like them; so do all who trust in them. (115:4–8)

Again, the work of my hands is nothing like the work of God. Artistic efforts may have function and even beauty — to a degree, but all fall short compared to the work of our Creator. This includes redemption. Our efforts cannot come close to what He has done:

Gracious is the Lord, and righteous; our God is merciful. The Lord preserves the simple; when I was brought low, he saved me. Return, O my soul, to your rest; for the Lord has dealt bountifully with you. For you have delivered my soul from death, my eyes from tears, my feet from stumbling; I will walk before the Lord in the land of the living. (116:5–9)

Salvation’s lovely reality puts me in awe. I cannot come close to duplicating it. My part . . .

I will offer to you the sacrifice of thanksgiving and call on the name of the Lord. (116:17)

I thank you that you have answered me and have become my salvation. The stone that the builders rejected has become the cornerstone. This is the Lord’s doing; it is marvelous in our eyes. This is the day that the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it . . . .  Oh give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; for his steadfast love endures forever! (118:21–24; 29)

All this might make one assume that God easily distracted too, because when He saw our sin and helplessness, He did not focus there but turned from His wrath and sent Jesus to pay our penalty instead of giving us what our sin deserved. However, His Word is clear: a grand display of grace and mercy was His plan all along.

 

No comments: