September 19, 2022

Tea with the Queen?

 

READ Psalm 61–65

The closest we came was the eastern gate of Balmoral Castle near the Dee River. We knew she was there; the flag was flying. Our car pointed toward the gate and two armed guards stepped out and stood in front of us. We turned left on Deeside and chuckled, “Looks like we won’t have tea with the Queen today.”

This morning while watching the funeral, someone from the crowd was quoted as saying, “It feels like we have lost a member of our family.” I’ve not been a royal-watcher or anything like that, but felt the same way. Now, as I remember yesterday’s sermon at our church, that statement rings true. Those who believe in Jesus Christ are family, the children of God, and the death of any one of us is the death of a family member.

Queen Elizabeth II was a believer in Jesus Christ. I wondered if anyone had ever prayed these verses concerning her:

Prolong the life of the (queen); may (her) years endure to all generations! May (she) be enthroned forever before God; appoint steadfast love and faithfulness to watch over (her)! (Psalm 61:6–7)

They fit. God made it happen. She was gracious, steadfast, definitely unique in a world of ruthless political powers. I feel about her death the same way as when Billy Graham died; we have lost a mighty leader for Christ, but also a brother in Christ, and now a sister. But here is something else. From the quotes I’ve read about her, this Queen could have said:

For God alone my soul waits in silence; from him comes my salvation. He alone is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken. (62:1–2)

She lived that way and while the respect for her is shown on nearly every television network, the Gospel message she believed has also been heard, maybe for the first time for some, and in many nations and households. God honored her life and He is honored in her death. As I watched her coffin lowered into the crypt, the song welled up in my heart: “Up from the grave He arose, like a mighty triumph o’er His foes . . . .” and  I realized that as grand as her exit from this world has been, her welcome into the next world is even grander, and Queen Elizabeth II is now more alive than ever before!

For God alone, O my soul, wait in silence, for my hope is from him. He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be shaken. On God rests my salvation and my glory; my mighty rock, my refuge is God. (62:5–7)

The Queen rejoiced in God. All who trust in Him shall praise and exult Him for we will see the day when the mouths of all liars will be stopped and the truth of God will prevail. (63:11) As I focus on that reality, and on the glory of entering the presence of God and being safe in His care forever, grief turns a corner. Like the guards at the gate of her castle, the armies of heaven hold her secure in His care. She is forever safe, reigning with Christ, a victory far greater than even the esteem held here in this world. Instead of thinking of our loss, I think of her gain; she is with Jesus and I feel a sustaining sense of her great joy!

Praise is due to you, O God, in Zion, and to you shall vows be performed. O you who hear prayer, to you shall all flesh come. (65:1–2)

Lord again, this is my prayer: May Your Spirit speak through the words, the ceremony, the faith displayed and described this day. Speak the good news of Jesus Christ to thousands who pay tribute to Your child, that her life and her death draws them to You. May many hear Your message to come, to give their lives to You. I’m certain this would be her greatest blessing and joy to see them honor You and one day join her around Your throne, not at all about tea but about worshiping You forever.

 

No comments: