September 2, 2019

Focus on Jesus and others, not the mirror


My interest in prayer and how to pray keeps growing. The Bible has lots to say on the topic. This passage is familiar and one that I often quote because I often hear people talking about politics. It encourages us that rather than talk (or complain) we need to pray for our political leaders.

First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people, for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way. This is good, and it is pleasing in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all people to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth. (1 Timothy 2:1–4)

These verses are strong. Four types of prayers are listed, covering everything from thanksgiving to earnest pleas, with thanksgiving often the most challenging! They also give good reason for praying. God is pleased when I pray because it indicates I am trusting Him to rule the affairs of life, not the politicians. These words also link prayer with living a peaceful, quiet life and with people knowing the truth and being saved. No amount of talk (or complaining) about the government or political leaders will do that but prayer can!

However, I notice something else about prayer just a few verses later . . .

I desire then that in every place the men should pray, lifting holy hands without anger or quarreling; likewise also that women should adorn themselves in respectable apparel, with modesty and self-control, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly attire, but with what is proper for women who profess godliness—with good works. (1 Timothy 2:8–10)

Because this leads into a controversial section on the role of women, this part could easily be ignored. Since I’m reading devotionally, I have not checked commentaries, etc. but am listening. The Holy Spirit seems to be linking a couple of thoughts.

First, the men are to pray with godly hands lifted — indicating a reliance on God, but without any anger or disputes in their lives. They are to be at peace with one another when they go to prayer.

Likewise, the women are also to pray like that, with one further addition. Oddly, it is about how we dress and do our hair. What does that have to do with prayer? Well, it can interfere with it, even with getting answers.

I don’t know about other women, but it seems to me there is a tendency in my own heart to compare my “Sunday best” with the appearance of others. I notice what they are wearing and if they look good. In our congregation, several women of a certain culture dress in vivid colors and patterns and have ornately braided hair. They are amazing in appearance. It would be easy to fall into a comparison attitude if my value system put my clothes and hair style high on the list.

These verses link prayer with being respectable, modesty and self-control contrasting it with a desire to have fancy hairdos, jewelry, and expensive clothing. Interesting. It suggests that when a woman prays, she must have the attitude that being dressed to the nines is not important. Appropriate is okay but not to draw attention to myself. I’m to be thinking of what I am doing and the needs of others, not what I look like in the mirror.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Lord Jesus, I think I am okay with this but keeping a balance is not that easy. I want to look nice, but don’t want others pay attention to me because of how I look. I don’t want to go too far the other way and be noticed because I’m unkept or a messy distraction. You want me to be godly and my appearance to be adorned with goodness, good behavior and good activities that honor You. Help me remember these thoughts whenever temptations lure me to compare myself with those women who could be on the pages of a fashion magazine. This is not what being a Christian is all about, and from what these verses say, it would interfere with my prayers.

Today’s thankful list . . .
Energy to work hard today on a challenging to-do list.
Holiday break for my hubby.
Email that makes possible communication with distant relatives and friends.
An old but amazing sewing machine.
The last piece of peach pie.

No comments: