September 24, 2019

The inside is more important than my appearance . . .


While I try not to judge people by what they wear, this is a common occurrence. It reminds me of a couple of seniors who joined a youth group activity. Those who participated were supposed to dress up somehow and go to the local (and huge) mall. The youth were supposed to find and identify them. These seniors dressed like street people. Their ‘costumes’ were so effective that someone reported them to security and they were ‘arrested’ and nearly booted out of the mall!

This morning I read again the description of how God’s servants are to behave and noted the last line in these verses about how Christians are supposed to adorn themselves . . .

Bondservants are to be submissive to their own masters in everything; they are to be well-pleasing, not argumentative, not pilfering, but showing all good faith, so that in everything they may adorn the doctrine of God our Savior. (Titus 2:9–10)

The image comes to mind of people loved and forgiven by God and declared blameless because of faith in Jesus Christ but sadly adorning themselves as sinners wearing worldly passions, out of control, greedy, rebellious, argumentative, unkind, full of pride and anger, and looking like anything but the people of God that grace and faith declares them to be. No wonder the ‘people in the mall’ want to toss them out! No wonder that this section ends with, “Let no one disregard you.” (Titus 2:15b)

When I get ready for the day, I try to pick clothing that represents good taste. However, I’ve not always been that particular about my attitude. God wants me to choose it with far greater intention than given to what I look like:

Do not let your adorning be external—the braiding of hair and the putting on of gold jewelry, or the clothing you wear— but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God’s sight is very precious. (1 Peter 3:3–4)

Being gentle and quiet does not come naturally for me. Gentle is sometimes translated as meek, not a popular word. However, it is the same word used by Jesus in Matthew 11:29: “Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.”

Imagine being a person that is like this — humble and gentle, able to produce rest in the souls of those around them. No matter how nicely I dress or wear my hair, that is not going to happen. It must be an inner attitude that permeates the room and is felt by others. Now that is a challenge!

Quiet is an attitude that can produce a similar result. It means tranquil or being untroubled and free from disturbances; especially free of noise and uproar. Think of being in a garden, away from the sounds of traffic and city, away from all problems and anxieties, just enjoying the peace and quiet. This is what being with Jesus is like. Am I too ambitious to want to be like Jesus? This is a double challenge!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jesus, the seniors who dressed unlike their real selves had to convince the security guards that they were not what they appeared to be. They were able to do it, and even though their activity was interrupted, it gave the rest of us something to chuckle about. Yet acting like who we are as Your people is far more serious. I need to adorn myself in the lifestyle You produce in me because this is not a laughing matter or a game. Gentle and quiet are part of who You are and precious. These qualities adorn the truths that the Bible teaches. When I look in the mirror of Your Word each morning, I need to always be aware of what You show me so I am reflecting Your nature and not something that is no longer true about who I am.

Today’s thankful list . . .
Another walk in the fresh fall air.
Unexpected long nap because my alarm didn’t work!
Family phone calls.
Assurance of God’s sovereignty.
His promise that one day I will be like Jesus when I see Him face to face.

No comments: