September 15, 2019

Trust and obey, there is no other way . . .


Yesterday my hubby and I talked about how simplicity blesses our lives. The more stuff we get rid of, the more content we feel. The more we live by the foundational  truths found in Scripture, the more blessed our lives. Know and live by the Word of God. Talk to Him. Rely on Him for everything. Don’t get tangled up in worldly values but keep our focus on spiritual truths and righteousness.

This morning, these two passages show that God’s ways reflect who He is: the same yesterday, today and forever. In the Old Testament, He says this:

“Let not the wise man boast in his wisdom, let not the mighty man boast in his might, let not the rich man boast in his riches, but let him who boasts boast in this, that he understands and knows me, that I am the Lord who practices steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in the earth. For in these things I delight, declares the Lord.” (Jeremiah 9:23–24)

Being wise according to the worlds evaluation of wisdom does not impress God, nor does wealth. He looks for faith and an ever-increasing knowledge of who He is — with those same characteristics showing up in our lives too. I can practice steadfast love, justice and righteousness because He sent Jesus to live in me and to change me into His likeness.

In the New Testament, Paul writes to Timothy outlining the same values:

As for the rich in this present age, charge them not to be haughty, nor to set their hopes on the uncertainty of riches, but on God, who richly provides us with everything to enjoy. They are to do good, to be rich in good works, to be generous and ready to share, thus storing up treasure for themselves as a good foundation for the future, so that they may take hold of that which is truly life. O Timothy, guard the deposit entrusted to you. Avoid the irreverent babble and contradictions of what is falsely called “knowledge,” for by professing it some have swerved from the faith. Grace be with you. (1 Timothy 6:17–21)

Those who have money (having money is not a sin) must not be proud of that or set their hopes in it. Being rich is too uncertain but God is unwavering and the source of all that anyone could ever need or want. Trust in Him. The rich person can be rich in goodness, generosity and in that find out what real life is all about. Whatever God entrusts me with, I’m to guard it, realizing all true treasures come from Him.

These verses also stress not to follow worldly wisdom, often identified as “knowledge” or by the amount of education someone has. It seems true that the more a person knows, the more contradictory that ‘information’ becomes. Setting my priorities on gaining knowledge only works well if that knowledge involves knowing and understanding God.

This brings me back to the ‘keep it simple’ conversion of yesterday. We can easily complicate issues with theories, theologies and endless debate, yet the easier way is to get on my knees and into the Word seeking God’s will on every matter, and then doing whatever He wants me to do about it. One author puts this into a triangle with promise (find what God wants), faith (believe He will do it), and patience (wait for His answer) at each point.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Lord Jesus, I can hear my own doubt questioning if walking with You really that simple. And Your Spirit echoes back with “God is not the author of confusion.” My doubts about simplicity are not from You. Money complicates life. Knowledge can also complicated life. Having one or the other or both requires Your discipline to keep life simple and not let those temporary things swerve my heart from trusting You and doing as You say.

Today’s thankful list . . .
A long sleep and feeling rested.
Driving in the sunshine.
Having supper with my hubby in a restaurant that smells like garlic and makes wonderful pasta.
Being able to phone family and chat.
The joy of the Lord is my strength.


No comments: