September 10, 2019

He guards and I guard His gifts of power, love and self-control . . .


Stewardship is a biblical concept. It means careful and responsible management of something entrusted to me. This often refers to money, but it could mean my home, family, possessions, and every gift from God.
Paul wrote to pastor Timothy about the gifts God entrusted to him. They were spiritual abilities . . .

God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control. Therefore do not be ashamed of the testimony about our Lord, nor of me his prisoner, but share in suffering for the gospel by the power of God, who saved us and called us to a holy calling, not because of our works but because of his own purpose and grace, which he gave us in Christ Jesus before the ages began, and which now has been manifested through the appearing of our Savior Christ Jesus, who abolished death and brought life and immortality to light through the gospel, for which I was appointed a preacher and apostle and teacher, which is why I suffer as I do. But I am not ashamed, for I know whom I have believed, and I am convinced that he is able to guard until that day what has been entrusted to me. Follow the pattern of the sound words that you have heard from me, in the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus. By the Holy Spirit who dwells within us, guard the good deposit entrusted to you. (2 Timothy 1:7–14, italics mine)

This passage is an encouragement to me. It says that God gave me power, love, and self-control and that He will guard these qualities entrusted to me. That is included in my calling to salvation and part of His saving power. He gives these to me, not because I’ve earned or deserve them, but because of His purpose and grace. He has good reasons that I should be able to do all He asks in a loving way and with wisdom and thoughtful awareness.

Having these godly gifts may result in suffering, yet I’m not to abandon them. Like Paul, I know the One in whom I believe and know that He will never take back the gifts that He gives.

However, none of His gifts are to be assumed safe without me cooperating. I’m to be a good steward who guards that which He has entrusted to me. The instruction here is to “follow the pattern of sound words” that are given in the Bible, doing so in faith and love that are in Jesus. I’m given the Holy Spirit to help me guard those very things that He has entrusted to me and promises to guard in me.

This is the mystery of godliness; knowing Christ and living in the power, love and self-control He gives, and yet at the same time, it is me doing the living. I’m not a robot for God, more like a glove filled with His hand, yet a supple and willing glove that is not to fight the direction and movement He asks of me.

I think of another picture; a wood chip floating down a stream. It can be caught and stopped by various distractions yet is supposed to cooperate with the water and keep moving with it, trusting it to take it where it is supposed to go, yet avoiding the traps and pitfalls that prevent that movement.

What prevents power? Fear and relying on self. What prevents love? Fear and selfishness. What prevents wise decisions? Pride and lack of faith, thinking I know the answers without God.

Faith comes from hearing God’s Word, so I am to listen to and follow the pattern of sound words written by Paul and other men of God under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit. Every situation of life needs that pattern because my way is different from (and inferior to) God’s way.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Lord Jesus, as I spend time with You in Your Word and in conversation, keep me aware of my need for Your power, love and self-control and aware of how to use these gifts and how to guard them as a good steward. Bless You and thank You for Your care for me in every detail of life.

Today’s thankful list . . .
God’s gifts, none of them deserved.
The ability to sleep like a baby.
My hubby stayed home all day. Nice.
A friend gave me a large zucchini that is now muffins and a loaf.
A warm home on a cold day.
My Ott light, especially when the sun cannot be seen.

No comments: