September 30, 2019

Hearing God . . .


The actions of a friend seemed technically right but something was bugging me. Yesterday while reading the Scriptures a verse popped out that explained why I was unsure about those actions. It also affirmed that obeying God is not about a set of rules or ideals. Listening to His Spirit is vital. What we think we should do might not be the right thing for the situation or the right timing.

For most Christians, this is too subjective. If what we hear is from God, we want verification from His Word, double affirmation. This has me thinking about the importance of the Bible for Christian living and how vital to know what it says, especially as I listen for His still small voice that gives amazing personal guidance. It’s no surprise that today’s reading puts me in this familiar passage:

All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work. (2 Timothy 3:16–17)

A little exploration in a Bible dictionary gives simple definitions of what the Word of God does for those who spend time reading and studying it . . .  

Teaching refers to activities that impart knowledge or skill. God’s Word gives me information so I know things about Him and myself and this world that I would otherwise not know. It even gives me skills I would not otherwise have.

Reproof means an expression of criticism or censure. The Bible tells me when I’m doing the wrong thing, but it also offers correction to improve or replace my mistakes. No good to just know that I slipped up unless I also know what to do differently. I need to repent but also change my ways.

Therefore, if anyone cleanses himself from what is dishonorable, he will be a vessel for honorable use, set apart as holy, useful to the master of the house, ready for every good work. (2 Timothy 2:21)

For that, God’s Word gives training in righteousness, meaning it works in my mind and morals to conform my life to the life of Jesus Christ. This is so I will be complete or equipped with every necessary component for a task or for the purpose God gives me.

This book is like the instruction manual that comes with cars and other complex machinery, or a complete how-to manual for cooking or other involved tasks. It is everything I need to live in the will of God. Other verses build on that:

For whatever was written in former days was written for our instruction, that through endurance and through the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. (Romans 15:4)

Why is the Bible so helpful? It is because God is in the writing and in the reading and interpretation of it. It was not produced merely by human hand. 2 Peter 1:20-21 say that, “No prophecy of Scripture comes from someone’s own interpretation. For no prophecy was ever produced by the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.”

Another reason for studying the Bible is related to other ways of learning. If I simply ‘let the pastor do it’ or rely on Christian authors, commentaries and other sources about the Bible as my teaching resources, I will miss out in the completeness that is in Scripture.

Jesus says in Luke 6:40, “A disciple is not above his teacher, but everyone when he is fully trained will be like his teacher.” Human teachers are incomplete in their knowledge and understanding. We don’t know everything about any area of learning never mind the complex study of who God is and what He is like. Other people cannot speak to my deepest needs because most of them have no clue what those needs are, never mind how to address them. We don’t fully understand ourselves either. But God does.

O Lord, you have searched me and known me! You know when I sit down and when I rise up; you discern my thoughts from afar. You search out my path and my lying down and are acquainted with all my ways. Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O Lord, you know it altogether. You hem me in, behind and before, and lay your hand upon me. Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high; I cannot attain it. (Psalm 139:1–6)

Who better to counsel, guide and instruct me for life from than the One who created me and knows best how I work!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Lord Jesus, I’m so thankful that You make Yourself available to me, that I can talk to You and hear You speak, and that Your Word is better than telephones, email, texting, or even a classroom. What a wonder that the God who spoke the world into existence also speaks to me, a mere speck on the grandeur of creation. You are totally amazing and I am totally delighted that You created an instruction manual that is also a love letter — just for Your people.

Today’s thankful list . . .
The Word of God.
Being able to read it and hear God speak.
His correction and guidance for all of life.
Bible study that is relevant to life.
A quiet day that started with a skiff of snow and ended with sunshine.
Chicken noodle soup.

No comments: