September 9, 2019

Overcoming fear


Most of yesterday afternoon was spent with a few friends. One battles cancer. Another recovered from a badly fractured foot and can walk again. Another works in a foreign country that may not allow him back to his job. Another is a medical doctor. My hubby is involved in large construction projects. All are deeply committed Christians. Our conversation was lively and mostly about our experiences with God.

One part of the discussion focused on the power of fear. The cancer person shared how it can hit her. She knows fear is not from God and battles in prayer to regain her confidence and peace. The doctor shared a story of a boy hit by a car and in extreme pain — until he was reassured about his condition, care and the outcome. As soon as he knew he was in good hands, his pain level dropped.

All of us know that pain is a symptom. Like guilt, it usually tells us that something is wrong. However, fear is seldom a good thing. (The exceptions are obvious; I should fear a lion moving in my direction, playing in traffic, and ignoring pain and guilt.) In the boy’s case, fear made his pain worse than it should have been.

The Bible says much about fear. In our discussion yesterday, someone quoted this verse:

God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control. (2 Timothy 1:7)

In most cases, fear creates an emotional paralysis that keeps me from action. It is that “what if?” factor that side-tracks me. Instead of moving ahead motivated by confidence in God who loves me and the love that He gives me for others, I’m too afraid to do anything because I’m thinking more of my own safety or self-preservation. This can by physical but also relational. Fear drives thoughts such as: “If I do that, people might not like me” or “If I don’t go along with them, they will not be my friends.”

Instead of fear, God gives power. I can do whatever He wants me to do because of His power that is in me through faith in Jesus Christ. As Paul wrote,

I can do all things through him who strengthens me. (Philippians 4:13)

Instead of fear, God gives love. This is the kind of love that isn’t thinking about my ‘rights’ or about me at all. it is the same love that brought Jesus from heaven to earth to die for us. Had He been fearful and thinking of Himself, salvation would not have been available to us! With that kind of love, I can to boldly obey God and not be anxious about the ramifications. As with the Lord Jesus, the plan of God is always for good, not just the good of others, but it will always work out for my good too!

Instead of fear, God gives self-control. My Bible dictionary says this means, “to behave in a sensible manner with thoughtful awareness of what is best.” Self-control is also produced by the Holy Spirit yet that verse (Galatians 5:32) uses a different Greek word that looks at the other side of this sensible manner. It is “the ability to say no to all sinful and selfish desires.” Obviously, both are needed. I cannot be thoughtful and aware of what is best if I am focused on my own desires. As we talked yesterday, fear puts the focus on what ‘I want’ and not only keeps us from trusting God, it keeps us from that thoughtful awareness of what is best, otherwise known as wisdom.

Cancer is a fear-producing condition. Our friend said that most of the time she is at peace. We agreed that God’s peace is a supernatural thing. We get it from our Lord and through expressing our trust in Him.
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:6–7)
We also agreed that others cannot understand it either. Our families sometimes shake their heads at the obvious peace we experience. Our friends and even most medical people wonder about this peace because it is not the normal reaction to life’s challenges. Fear is. But fear is not from God — and we want the world to know that fear can be overcome by deeply trusting the One who made this promise:
“I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.” (John 16:33)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Lord Jesus, indeed, You have overcome the world along with its dangers, its power to trouble our hearts, its fears and challenges. You conquered death and give us life everlasting. You tell us not to fear. We sometimes let it grab us but are so glad that fear is not in control — You are!

Today’s thankful list . . .
The ability to be at peace.
A productive day catching up on a long chore list.
My studio is finally tidy.
Chicken wraps.
Pineapple and oranges.

No comments: