September 14, 2019

Contentment is a marvelous gift


In the days of Jesus, it was the money changers in the temple. They served a legitimate need for travelers who came to make offerings to God, but they moved their business from outside the place of prayer into a part of the temple where they did not belong. For them, money was more important than worship.

In these days, it is those who promise blessings of money and good health to listeners if they contribute to their cause, not realizing that the ‘cause’ is a newer car, a bigger house, perhaps an airplane or two. They moved their allegiance from Jesus Christ to lining their bank account.

Making money is not the evil; loving it more than the Lord has become a problem. Paul warned Pastor Timothy to watch out for this in others and in himself. The temptation is always there.

If anyone teaches a different doctrine and does not agree with the sound words of our Lord Jesus Christ and the teaching that accords with godliness, he is puffed up with conceit and understands nothing. He has an unhealthy craving for controversy and for quarrels about words, which produce envy, dissension, slander, evil suspicions, and constant friction among people who are depraved in mind and deprived of the truth, imagining that godliness is a means of gain. But godliness with contentment is great gain, for we brought nothing into the world, and we cannot take anything out of the world. But if we have food and clothing, with these we will be content. But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation, into a snare, into many senseless and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction. For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evils. It is through this craving that some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pangs. (1 Timothy 6:3–10)

It's easy to make this about ‘us and them’ but this passage does not focus on that distinction; it inserts ‘we’ into the mix. That means I must take it to heart. I know what it is like to be puffed up with conceit and to enjoy a good ‘discussion’ about word meanings. Instead of trusting God to take care of those headed down the ‘different doctrine’ path, I’m easily inclined to challenge them and stir things up, playing their own game.

God challenges me with the statement that “godliness with contentment is great gain” because it is true. I brought nothing into this world and will take nothing out. I remember my dad’s last day and the hospital handing me his possessions — a small cardboard box with his shaver and aftershave lotion. That was it and he was content. My sister had a houseful of things including some very fine art. She is now in a care facility with none of that and no indication that she misses it. She is content.

The desire for money is one thing, but then there is that desire for stuff. Every television commercial and magazine ad appeals to it. Spend more, be content but only if you buy this. The human heart is far too easily sucked into the lies and pulled away from trusting God.

I’ve a footnote for this passage and its warnings. The more I purge the extras and unused things from my home, the more content I feel. I don’t see a direct connection other than God says food and clothing will be enough to produce contentment. This is a good word for everyone, from minimalist to hoarder we all need to trust the Lord and not ‘stuff’ to give us a satisfied heart.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jesus, You always give me lots to think about. I try to keep stuff that once made me happy, like copies of published articles, old clothes that don’t fit anymore, dishes that remind me of good times but are not being used, books that I will never read again. You know the tendency of the human heart. Forgive me for trying to maintain the joy of life with anything other than You — my perfect joy-giver.

Today’s thankful list . . .
Contentment, one of God’s greatest gifts.
Getting out in the sunshine, finally.
Finding most of our list on a short shopping trip.
Seeing all the little ones shopping with their parents.
Sunglasses.
Cinnamon buns.


No comments: