September 1, 2019

Christianity is not about keeping rules


This New Testament survey book I’m reading now goes to the letters Paul wrote to pastors. I’m not a pastor yet there are helpful thoughts in these epistles for everyone. Beginning with 1 Timothy, Paul warns against false teachers. He says Christians are “not to teach different doctrine, nor devote themselves to myths and endless genealogies, which promote speculations rather than the stewardship (or orderly way of life) from God that is by faith.” He goes on:

The aim of our charge is love that issues from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith. Certain persons, by swerving from these, have wandered away into vain discussion, desiring to be teachers of the law, without understanding either what they are saying or the things about which they make confident assertions. Now we know that the law is good, if one uses it lawfully, understanding this, that the law is not laid down for the just but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and sinners, for the unholy and profane, for those who strike their fathers and mothers, for murderers, the sexually immoral, men who practice homosexuality, enslavers, liars, perjurers, and whatever else is contrary to sound doctrine, in accordance with the gospel of the glory of the blessed God with which I have been entrusted. (1 Timothy 1:3–11)

We tend to associate false teachers with cults and other obvious isms, but I have been in churches where the focus was on law and rules. God’s Law was not used lawfully as Paul says here, but to convict Christians that they were not good enough and must try harder. This is not the gospel of grace but a false teaching that salvation must be earned.

The law of God was given to show all of us that we need Jesus Christ. It still does that for Christians, but not to motivate self-effort. When I realize I’ve failed to be all that the Law requires, I must repent and ask God to grant me forgiveness and cleansing. This is the Gospel.

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. (1 John 1:9)

Once that happens, I can then be filled with the Holy Spirit and live in the freedom that Christ gives, not given to sin or self-effort but glorifying God that He saves sinners — me and people like me. It is as Paul writes next in this letter to Timothy. He described some of his former life then said he received mercy . . .

“ . . . and the grace of our Lord overflowed for me with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus. The saying is trustworthy and deserving of full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the foremost. But I received mercy for this reason, that in me, as the foremost, Jesus Christ might display his perfect patience as an example to those who were to believe in him for eternal life. To the King of the ages, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen.” (1 Timothy 1:14–17)

He tells Timothy to “wage the good warfare, holding faith and a good conscience” because others rejected that and made “shipwreck of their faith” which is something I never want to do.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jesus, this makes Christian living simple; trust God and keep my conscience clear. There is nothing here to suggest that I keep a bunch of rules or try harder. Trusting God includes believing that Your promise of salvation by faith is a gift to those who trust You. Keeping my conscience clear includes asking forgiveness when I sin as well as obeying Your leading. Today, simple is a great idea. This week has been complex and challenging. The enemy has worked overtime to mess me up. I’m thankful that You hold my hand and keep me walking with You, even after I stumble. May You be honored and glorified forever and ever.

Today’s thankful list . . .
Blessing of a message on the power of God to help His people finish well.
Great fellowship with new friends.
Able to share answered prayer with a dear woman who needed to hear some good news.
A super visit and a mean with my brother and his wife.
Driving home through miles of lush countryside and ripening crops.
Cheesecake with chocolate sauce — yum!

No comments: