September 13, 2019

“There is no perfect church” Really?


In a quilting class, one person attending brought ugly fabric and  sewed with  the attitude that this was only a class and it didn’t matter whether she did her best work or not. The class sample she made was unattractive and a disappointment. Maybe I’m a perfectionist, but I couldn’t see the sense in going to all that work with an “it’s good enough” attitude.

I’ve heard it said too often about church too; something like “There is no perfect church” something offered to those complaining about the latest church they attended. It also comes out of the mouths of members who attend year after year, grumbling but hanging in there. After a while, this begins to sound like an excuse. Maybe a “perfect church” would be better spoken of as a goal?

This morning I read a summary of the last part of 1 Timothy. Here is my summary of that summary.

First, the ideal is characterized by the prayer life of its members. Also, the emphasis is on the godly lives of those members rather than appearances.

First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people, for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way. (1 Timothy 2:1–2)

What ever happened to mid-week prayer meetings? What replaces prayer for political leaders? If I’m not praying as instructed, can I expect a peaceful and quiet life that is godly and dignified? Really?

Second, the ideal is characterized by godly leadership. The list of requirements is long, too long to print here. It holds to high standards of moral and spiritual qualities. I’ve attended many churches and must say that not all of them measure up to this biblical pattern. Electing church officials is too often a popularity contest rather that based on what God wants. Can I expect godly followers if the leaders are not godly? I don’t think so.

Third, the ideal is characterized by proper administration of various affairs like care of widows, the work of the elders, deacons and teachers. Each is to give attention to his responsibilities knowing that he is answerable to the Lord. In our day, we have government programs to care for the needy, doing things that the church once did. Perhaps that is a good thing but what has replaced social care? A social club? A nice bunch of people to eat with? 

As for pastors and teachers, I’m more than a little concerned when the comments after a service or a class include statements like, “Oh, is he ever good at that” instead of realizing all our goodness is a total gift from God.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Lord Jesus, maybe I haven’t seen all the behind-the-scenes activities. Certain there are many times You exercise that wonder of “His strength made perfect in weakness.” Perhaps I’m looking in the mirror and seeing how far short I fall. None the less, we could do better. The standard is high and You never let me get away with excuses. May my prayers for Your church and efforts to be a part of it always seek to “play by the rules” and to glorify Your excellence.

Today’s thankful list . . .
Convicted of not holding to a higher standard.
Realizing Jesus will built His church and I need to cooperate.
Thankful that I can pray for the church, which is far more effective than preaching at anyone.
Feeling a bit better after two naps today.
The love of Jesus, despite our foibles and shortcomings.


No comments: