September 2, 2024

Seeing God in the small things…

God’s sense of humor shows up now and then when He tests me on my statements of faith. Yesterday’s devotion was about the sin of grumbling. I used a few small things as examples, mainly because I realize how easily I can complain about the least inconveniences and not even notice that I’m doing it. If my topic is wars, or shootings, or wife-beating, or other headlines from the news that bother me, I might realize that my grumbling is telling God that I don’t trust His sovereign actions. But those little things? Easy to let them be a regular part of life.

However, this morning He tests me. My thumb hurts. Two weeks ago I felt good telling someone how copper socks enable me to be without arthritic pain even though x-rays say I should have it. But this morning, I have it. I could almost hear God saying, “Now, what was that you said about grumbling?”

The OT describes Israel’s response when life handed them hardship…

They did not keep God’s covenant, but refused to walk according to his law. They forgot his works and the wonders that he had shown them. In the sight of their fathers he performed wonders in the land of Egypt, in the fields of Zoan. He divided the sea and let them pass through it, and made the waters stand like a heap. In the daytime he led them with a cloud, and all the night with a fiery light. He split rocks in the wilderness and gave them drink abundantly as from the deep. He made streams come out of the rock and caused waters to flow down like rivers. Yet they sinned still more against him, rebelling against the Most High in the desert. They tested God in their heart by demanding the food they craved. They spoke against God, saying, “Can God spread a table in the wilderness? He struck the rock so that water gushed out and streams overflowed. Can he also give bread or provide meat for his people?” Therefore, when the Lord heard, he was full of wrath; a fire was kindled against Jacob; his anger rose against Israel, because they did not believe in God and did not trust his saving power. (Psalm 78:10–22)
The bottom line is that their faith was fine as long as it fit with their expectations, but when they craved more, or when the blessings were not to their preference, their lack of faith showed up. This story tells me what I must NOT do… don’t stop obeying Him, don’t forget all the goodness He shows me, don’t demand more and better, or complain.

God listens. Will I feel sorry for myself? Will I toss my socks in the trash? Will I go for pain killers? Will I grumble about this thumb, which is quite painful? Or will I thank God that I can trust Him, whether I’m hurting or not?

Reading the rest of Psalm 78 is a testimony to the love of God. In spite of their complaining, He kept pouring out His blessings. They “tested God again and again and provoked the Holy One of Israel. They did not remember his power or the day when he redeemed them from the foe” speaking of their exodus from slavery in Egypt. Yet in the end, He selected David to shepherd His people and continued to show them mercy.

This is God. Even when I am at my worst, He remains at His best. His love isn’t about my performance. He loves because of who He is, not because I deserve it. I know that even if I gripe, my sin was on the shoulders of my King, Jesus Christ who died so God could forgive me long before I was born. And for me, that is enough reason to ignore the pain and thank God for His remarkable goodness.

PRAY: Lord, if this is what You want for me, I will trust You. Even this small thing reminds me of my frailty and weakness, of my need for You and Your grace. Fill me with Your Spirit that I can be thankful for all things, even sore thumbs, that tell me You are with me and taking care of me. Bless Your holy name.


No comments: