September 24, 2024

Ignore the old — go with the new

 
I keep preaching it — mostly to myself. Always and everywhere, put off the old nature which my daily devotional reading calls the “I” religion, and put on the new nature that is marked by the life of Christ, not that it hangs in a closet and I must go get it, but that I already have it and foolishly live at times as if I didn’t.
Because I have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set my mind on things that are above, not on things that are on earth. For I have died, and my life is hidden with Christ in God. When Christ who is my life appears, then I also will appear with him in glory. Put to death therefore what is earthly in you…. On account of these the wrath of God is coming. In these I too once walked, when I was living in them. But now I must put them all away: anger, wrath, malice, slander, and obscene talk…. seeing that I have put off the old self with its practices and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge after the image of its creator. (Colossians 3:1–10, personalized)
That new nature is already mine and it is now possible to walk in its fullness:
Put on then, as God’s chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassionate hearts, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience, bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. And above all these put on love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony. And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body. And be thankful. (Colossians 3:12–15)
This passage goes on to tell me to “let the Word of Christ dwell in me richly” and is parallel to Ephesians 5 which says, “Be filled with the Spirit” who brings the same results. If I’m to be what God wants me to be, these two things are necessary: filled with the Word and filled with the Spirit, and both require me to kick out all “I” stuff, including any efforts to appear pious.

I remember thoughts during worship service where I wondered if it would look better if I raised my hands. Or did people notice that I knew the words without looking at them on the screen. Or notice that I was the only one smiling. All “I” religion stuff. Put it off.

The odd thing is that Holy Spirit stuff cannot be cataloged in the same way. If I do it, it drops into that old “I” religion because any Holy Spirit stuff is not about me. It is about others and about Jesus. Yes, focusing on Jesus brings peace and joy, love for others, and the other fruit of the Spirit, but it is not given the same attention. I might notice it, but it will not let me say anything about it except “Thank You” or think more than simply marveling at the wonder of who God is and His amazing grace.

We are experiencing answers to prayers, even experiencing prayers that fill me with wonder that such thoughts are in my heart because I’m so often focused on me and my needs. God is incredible.

PRAY: Jesus, I could think today about fatigue, the to-do list that looms like a giant mountain to climb, our varied needs, but You keep filling my mind with the way You have changed the life of a young woman who was so far from You and now praising You and wanting to serve on the worship team at our church. And You have prompted me to pray for her and for another person who badly needs physical healing and salvation. Today, spiritual armor is needed because it is part of what I’m to put on instead of wearing those sinful and dead robes that are only about me.


No comments: