September 17, 2024

God’s ways are higher than mine

 

During our group Bible study we were asked in which ways we were limited in our Christian lives by our past. The assumption was that our past contained sins and mistakes that we were not proud of. This is illustrated in Jesus’ parable of the prodigal. He asked for his inheritance and took off on his own:
And when he had spent everything, a severe famine arose in that country, and he began to be in need. So he went and hired himself out to one of the citizens of that country, who sent him into his fields to feed pigs. And he was longing to be fed with the pods that the pigs ate, and no one gave him anything. “But when he came to himself, he said, ‘How many of my father’s hired servants have more than enough bread, but I perish here with hunger! I will arise and go to my father, and I will say to him, “Father, I have sinned against heaven and before you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son. Treat me as one of your hired servants.” ’ (Luke 15:14–19)
But when he arrived home, his father was overjoyed and threw a party to celebrate. No scolding, no questions even, illustrating that the past is not the measure of our acceptance by our heavenly Father. There is a great deal of joy in heaven over one sinner who repents. God forgives and puts our sin as far as the east from the west.
There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. (Romans 8:1)
On the other hand, some come to God with many assets. Paul was one of them, and this was his testimony about his past:
Though I myself have reason for confidence in the flesh also. If anyone else thinks he has reason for confidence in the flesh, I have more: circumcised on the eighth day, of the people of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews; as to the law, a Pharisee; as to zeal, a persecutor of the church; as to righteousness under the law, blameless. But whatever gain I had, I counted as loss for the sake of Christ. Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which comes through faith in Christ, the righteousness from God that depends on faith— that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death... (Philippians 3:4–10)
His past could be a hindrance if he let himself be proud of it and lord over others because of it. For some, a ‘good’ life, wise choices, wealth, high IQ and any number of other ‘successes’ are easily relied on by the flesh and like Paul, Christians with that kind of past have to learn to be joyful in weakness and rely fully on Jesus, not their old nature with its resources.

Today’s devotional reading points out that our strength lies in our helplessness. If I am helpless to do anything myself, Jesus can use me as He pleases. My past and whatever it includes, shame or pride or both, will not get in the way or delay obedience. The NT suggests the struggles of Paul to learn this may have been longer and more difficult than for those who were less endowed.
For the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men. For consider your calling, brothers: not many of you were wise according to worldly standards, not many were powerful, not many were of noble birth. But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong; God chose what is low and despised in the world, even things that are not, to bring to nothing things that are, so that no human being might boast in the presence of God. (1 Corinthians 1:25–29)
Humility comes easier to weak and lowly people for they have little to boast about in themselves. This suggests that pride in myself and what I can do may be a greater impediment than a shameful past.

PRAY: Jesus, You know that shame and pride both can ruin my walk with You. I’m so glad that You forgave all my sin, including the sin of thinking my way is better than Your way. Keep me in Your will that I may boast only in You.


No comments: