September 12, 2024

God reveals His will — pay attention!

A friend soon faces surgery to fix a detached retina in his right eye. He had the same problem years ago in the left one. Why? I haven’t a clue. Another friend takes care of her husband as his mind changes daily due to dementia. What is God’s purpose in this? I haven’t a clue. Many families struggle as one or more children (or grandchildren) are prodigals running away from them and from God. Why? I’ve no idea why this is happening either, but I do know one thing:

And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. (Romans 8:28–29)
God uses all things, even trials, to transform my life. The Bible even says this about my trials:
Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing. (James 1:2–4)
A difficulty or trial happens for at least two reasons. God may reveal great faith. When my husband fell in March, he sat dazed on a nearby bench and prayed that he didn’t know the why of this fall, but he accepted it as part of God’s plan for his life. One significant “good” thing is that he does not complain about his pain. He has a stress fracture and the pain goes away only when he is flat on his back, but he continues to take care of his responsibilities without moaning. This trial has resulted in steadfast trust in the Lord.

Trials can also expose sinfulness. Every time I have computer problems, my patience disappears. I am not only annoyed and frustrated, but lack peace and joy indicating the flesh is running things rather than the Holy Spirit. I also realize that this trial is exposing my sinful desire to be in control of things rather than trusting God and patiently dealing with that minor issue of life.

Today’s reading says that the story of Job is enacted in the lives of Christians. It says, “Mysterious providences darken and attempt to ruin the lives of those who have seemed too good to need such discipline. Even to ourselves come afflictions that we cannot understand, and Satan seems so busy in the matter that it is hard to trace the hand of the Lord in it at all. But His hand is in it nevertheless, and He overrules everything. No trial comes except by His permission and for some wise and loving purpose which perhaps only eternity will disclose.”

While most of us can identify with the puzzle of a trial and how easily we complain, I must not forget the rest of Job's story. Eventually God spoke to Job and this man realized that all his complaining and moaning about not knowing the reason for the trial was not an expression of his faith. In his troubles, he was to firmly hang on to the faith that he did have, expressed now and then, but not consistent. He did say:
But he knows the way that I take; when he has tried me, I shall come out as gold. (Job 23:10)
But he also complained that he didn’t know the why of it and God was not telling him. Then, at the end of the story, this man realized that he was not being true to his faith, and he confessed it saying:
I know that you can do all things and that no purpose of yours can be thwarted….  Therefore I have uttered what I did not understand, things too wonderful for me, which I did not know. ‘Hear, and I will speak; I will question you, and you make it known to me.’ I had heard of you by the hearing of the ear, but now my eye sees you; therefore I despise myself, and repent in dust and ashes.” (Job 42:2–6)
God did not bring that trial on Job to punish him for sins committed. Instead, He used it to show him that faith wins. In this trial and his encounter with God, Job needed to realize this and stick to it. He also needed to confess his failure to do that. In other words, Job was not kept in the dark about why he went through such a severe trial. At the end of his story, God showed Job his attitude so he could confess his doubts, repent, and be restored.

PRAY: Jesus, I know that Your treatment of me is only a mystery for a time, a test to reveal my reactions. Will I trust You? Or will my sin nature fly into action? Do I honor You in the trial? Or do I stop trusting and take a nosedive? If You are revealing sin, You always reveal it to me so I can repent and become more like You. I may not know the reasons for the trials of others, but by grace, You show me  the ‘why’ of my experiences — even if it is just the need to pay closer attention to Your revealed will.

No comments: