September 23, 2024

Being filled with the Spirit…

 


Being filled with the Spirit of God is not the same as having a dual personality, yet it is like that. Those who experience this often say and do things that they remember yet forget, that they wonder “where did that come from?” Yet they know it was the Spirit and not themselves.

I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. (Galatians 2:20)
This verse sort of describes it but not entirely. It is more like:
Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. (1 Corinthians 13:4–7)
And even this isn’t quite it because the love of God is not focused on me and is without self-evaluation. He puts the focus on others, so thinking I am patient and kind is a self-evaluation that ruins it.
Consider also the idea of master. In the original language, this word is sometimes translated  “master” as in the owner of something, but sometimes translated “Lord” when it refers to Jesus. Why the difference? Jesus put it this way:
No longer do I call you servants, for the servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all that I have heard from my Father I have made known to you. (John 15:15)
Sometimes Jesus referred to Himself as “master,” at least in my ESV translation.
Remember the word that I said to you: ‘A servant is not greater than his master.’ If they persecuted me, they will also persecute you. If they kept my word, they will also keep yours. (John 15:20)
You call me Teacher and Lord, and you are right, for so I am. (John 13:13)
Yet the idea of “master” contrasts with the idea of friends, implying another kind of relationship. This contrast shows up in the story of the prodigal. The straying son returned and was treated with a loving embrace and a party. However, the older son who had lived under the father’s felt badly used, and he said:
Look, these many years I have served you, and I never disobeyed your command, yet you never gave me a young goat, that I might celebrate with my friends. But when this son of yours came, who has devoured your property with prostitutes, you killed the fattened calf for him! (Luke 15:28–30)
This person slipped from being a partner with his father to the attitude of a misused slave. This story and the above references point to the difference in attitude that comes when I am controlled by the Holy Spirit or when I am walking according to my old sinful nature called the flesh. One is a friend of Jesus more occupied with love for others than having my way.

In contrast, the flesh is about living for me, my way and my wants, doing things out of obligation rather than love, resenting the blessing of God on others, and feeling like God is simply too bossy. To have a Lord and Master is not the same thing as being mastered. To know the love of God pushes thoughts of self into oblivion and brings love for Him and for others out of my heart.

PRAY: Jesus, this is good counsel for me today. I do have plans, but also hear Your voice concerning the needs of others. I want to obey You, but not with the sense of obligation but because I love You. For that, I know my need to be filled with Your Spirit for otherwise my sinful self will take over and will certainly ruin everything. I confess to You that I belong to You and have been called Your friend. Fill me today that I may act like one, and be more concerned with others rather than being selfish and wanting to do my own thing.


No comments: