September 29, 2024

God with me...

It is told that Billy Graham said if you are in a crowd yet feel lonely, it is God crooking His finger and saying, ‘Come here.’

I was alone for long stretches as a child. That feeling of being alone and the fear of being abandoned stuck with me until one day I read a book offering what to do about such fears. It said to go in a room by myself, consider the fear, and let it take over, all the while trusting God. At first I felt as if I would die because the fear was so intense. Then the presence of the Lord flooded the room. From that day, this fear is no longer an issue. Jesus defeated it.

The Word of God is filled with many statements and promises that affirm that experience. Before  Jesus was born, God said that the very name of His Son declares it: “Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and they shall call his name Immanuel” (which means, God with us).” (Matthew 1:23) In that culture, names were considered as a child’s character, so the very essence of who Jesus is described as the wonder of God Himself being with us!

He is with us when we gather to worship and pray: “For where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I among them.” (Matthew 18:20)

Not only that, as I follow Him, He is with me and that will continue into eternity:

If anyone serves me, he must follow me; and where I am, there will my servant be also. If anyone serves me, the Father will honor him. (John 12:26)
And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also. (John 14:3)
Jesus even prayed for my presence with Him, that I would see what He is like and that the Father loves Him: “Father, I desire that they also, whom you have given me, may be with me where I am, to see my glory that you have given me because you loved me before the foundation of the world.” (John 17:24)

Later, He affirmed to His apostle Paul that His presence would protect him: “For I am with you, and no one will attack you to harm you, for I have many in this city who are my people.” (Acts 18:10)

This promise has been claimed by many and fulfilled as their lives are threatened. It is also an anchor as I do His will concerning making disciples and teaching them what God has taught me. To that, Jesus adds, “And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.” (Matthew 28:20)

PRAY: Jesus whether the threats are from the outside, or I am feeling no one cares or understands, or am overwhelmed with tasks or sad news, or anything else, I know that You are with me. Without You, I would easily give in or give up. We are getting ready to move, and at my age fatigue easily discourages me, but Your presence makes such a difference. You are guiding me in ways that ease the physical challenges, and giving me ideas that overcome all uncertainties. That You are with me even in this is so incredible. Your presence makes life not only bearable but possible. I am so thankful, so very thankful.


No comments: